1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

The FREAB has too much time on their hands!

Discussion in 'Florida' started by incognito, Jul 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. incognito

incognito Senior Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Florida
    Well, have you seen this? According to the August 2011 East Florida Chapter Appraisal Institute newsletter (you don't really think the state would let us know, do you?), the FREAB is proposing to eliminate nearly ALL of the formerly acceptable methods of presenting your license/certification.
    For me, I have always used St.Cert.Gen. REA RZxxx. Well, that is no longer going to be acceptable. In fact, it looks like there will only be one or two approved methods of properly writing your license/certification, depending on your level.

Here is the best part: They calculated that it would only cost US, the appraiser, $25 each to implement this change! Hmmm, new business cards, new signage, new ads, new letterhead, not to mention the hours of re-issuing my "newly formatted" license information to my 200 or so clients.

Don't they have better things to do?

This is the text of the proposal. It is not copyrighted or personal, and is public record:

I will protest this change...

2. incognito

incognito Senior Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Florida
    It gets better! The new UAD spec REQUIRES that your license be entered on the appraisal in the EXACT format that your license appears in the Appraisal Sub Committee (ASC) registry. Guess what, mine is RZxxx in the ASC registry, yet that IS NOT a State of Florida approved format! Way to go guys and gals...

3. Couch Potato

Couch Potato Elite Member

Mar 15, 2004
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    North Carolina
    Too late.

The 21 days to request a hearing have already passed. The new rule is effective 7/17/2011.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  4. Couch Potato

Mar 15, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    North Carolina
    That is not a problem. There is not a restriction on displaying your license number alone. The restriction is on words and abbreviations describing you. Somewhere you must indicate “State-certified general real estate appraiser” or "Cert Gen" followed by your license number to describe who you are.

5. Wm. Hattaway

Wm. Hattaway Senior Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Florida
    Having sat in on several FREAB meetings, one of the recurring violations among appraiser is how they sign the appraisals. Hopefully this will reduce violations as the appraiser now only has 2 options.

6. Couch Potato

Mar 15, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    North Carolina
    It might reduce them in the long run, but it will certainly increase them for the last two weeks of July. Fines for violations on reports in that timeframe looks like a surefire revenue stream to me.

7. nauthead

nauthead Senior Member

Nov 26, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Florida
    Was this change initiated by the business card companies? I have over 1,000 cards that will be useless in less than a week.

8. Pittsburgh Pete

Pittsburgh Pete Elite Member

May 6, 2008
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Pennsylvania
    I pray that my state board has bigger fish to fry than slapping wrists for such an innocuous infraction. Sounds to me like the FL state board has spent too much time in the midday sun.

9. Francois K. Gregoire

Francois K. Gregoire Senior Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Florida
    From what I hear, it was done in response to whines from some AMCs and maybe the GSEs. Had to do with the size of the field and inability to include the approved designations within the character count allowed.

Since licensing and certification became law, I have never used an abbreviation for my designation. The way I read state law, I might still be in the clear.

10. 444nutman

444nutman Senior Member

Jun 20, 2007
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Florida
    I am glad I check out AF or I would have never known. It would make more sense to impliment changes the day after our licenses expires. That way you could get the information when you take continuing ed. I called 2 other appraisers who I talk to on a constant basis and neither one of them knew about it either.

The only bonus is I am down to about 50 business cards, so I had to get new ones anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.