1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Toilet Does Not Flush

Discussion in 'General Appraisal Discussion' started by Dee Ann Casey, Sep 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dee Ann Casey

Dee Ann Casey Sophomore Member

May 29, 2002
    I am doing an appraisal for a purchase. The rest of the home was in ok condition but the toilet did not flush. It could be that the handle needs to be adjusted or it could be something more serious, but I am no home inspector! I do not want to be known as the "deal killing appraiser" but will I be opening up a can of worms mentioning this to the client? Would it be worse not to mention it? What do you guys think? Advice please!

Dee Ann

2. Pamela Crowley (Florida)

Pamela Crowley (Florida) Elite Member

Jan 13, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Retired Appraiser
    State:
    Florida
  3. Kate

Kate Senior Member

Aug 24, 2003
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    New Hampshire
    Was there water in the bowl?

If so, could be so many things. Toilets are typically very easy to fix if it's something internally wrong in the tank. Many times it doesn't even cost a dime. When you push the lever does it move with ease? Too much ease? Do you hear anything like plastic hitting the lid?

Do the other toilets in the house flush?? Sinks drain?

Does the house have a septic?

Wanna hear a story?

Thought you did. ;)

About a month ago I went on a short trip to NY. While I was gone hubbie knocked a perfume bottle into our toilet off a shelve about 6' off the ground. Fell through the bowl. THROUGH IT. :eek: . Water everywhere. Toilet destroyed. :rolleyes:

The funny part you are wondering. The perfume bottle didn't even have a scratch on it. Perfectly in tact.

OK so it's not THAT funny. But being that I didn't have to deal with it due to my trip it was kinda funny. :p

4. Dee Ann Casey

May 29, 2002
    Pretty funny story Kate! Glad you weren't home! The handle moves all the way down with no tension at all. The bathroom sink drained kind of slow but it is one of those old (probably 1940, the age of the home) sinks with a very small drain hole. The kitchen sink drained fine. There is no other toilet in the home and there is no septic tank.

5. Dee Ann Casey

May 29, 2002
    Yes there was water in the toilet bowl.

6. Pamela Crowley (Florida)

Pamela Crowley (Florida) Elite Member

Jan 13, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Retired Appraiser
    State:
    Florida
    Could be the handle is broken or disconnected.
    Could also have a clogged drain from the bathroom.

Disclose and suggest or recommend a plumber.

7. Kate

Kate Senior Member

Aug 24, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    New Hampshire
    What you've got there is a faulty chain my friend. Willing to bet the farm on it. Don't put that in the report though. You have no evidence that that is the problem.

Weird that the Home owner didn't fix it before you came. <_<

Those chains break all the time. Or just come undone.

I guess Pam is right though. I guess you should.

It is strange that the H.O didn't fix it if it's the only toilet in the house before you came.

8. Dee Ann Casey

May 29, 2002
  9. Don Clark

Don Clark Elite Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Virginia
    B) Advertisement on a local plumbers truck..."If it don't go down, call brown". :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

10. Ray Miller

Ray Miller Elite Member

Feb 20, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    Wisconsin
    Now this question brings me to my question.

Do you all go around flushing all the toilets in the home. Turn on all the water valves, check all the drains, check the sump pump, turning on the lights, turning up the heat, turning down the AC and anything else?

Is that the job of the appraiser outside of an FHA or VA appraisal. My mentor only had me check those on the FHA and VA ones. Of course we check the basement for the type of water lines, you know lead lines, galv, copper, PVC and such.

Should I go back to doing that on all my appraisals?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.