1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Unusual Request?

Discussion in 'General Appraisal Discussion' started by Christopher Lauver, Dec 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Christopher Lauver

Christopher Lauver New Member

May 6, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    New Jersey
    Hello All,

I have recently rec'd a strange request to look over (Desk review?)3 appraisals for a local mortgage company. They said the reviews are for "internal use only". They say that it is for a HUD review of their work. HUD has asked to see some of there work? and they want to make sure the appraisals are up to snuff. Strange thing is the work is 2 1/2 to 3 years old. Can these be done w/o me becoming responsible due to the "internal use"? Has anyone ever come across this? It just doesn't feel right in the gut. I love the forum, but I will say after reading a lot of the posts within this forum I tend to be less trusting of mortgage co.

Thanks,

Chris

2. Pine Tree

Pine Tree Junior Member

Aug 19, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Maine
    My Gut agrees with yours.

Peace, Wendy

3. Pamela Crowley (Florida)

Pamela Crowley (Florida) Elite Member

Jan 13, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Retired Appraiser
    State:
    Florida
    I don't think I would do that! HUD probably already has had full field reviews done on those.

PLEASE DON'T EVER BELIEVE ANYONE

THAT YOUR APPRAISAL OR OPINION IS ONLY

FOR THEIR INTERNAL USE!!!!!!

4. George Hatch

George Hatch Elite Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    California
    On the one hand, I don't trust mortgage brokers. On the other hand I don't see how a technical review of an appraisal, performed compently and ethically by the reviewer, can be used for a bad purpose.

It could be that HUD is looking to make the broker take back a couple of bad loans and the broker wants to find out if there's any justification to say "no"; and there very well might be. Or, it could be the the broker suspects there is a problem with this work and wants to find out one way or another. Or it could be that the broker wants to find out about the long term performance of their appraisers. Or it could be any one of a dozen more legitimate uses. I wouldn't make an assumption that a review is going to turn up a problem or automatically turn out badly for the original appraiser. Sometimes reviews are simply used as a secondary stamp of approval.

The thing to keep in mind about a review is that even if there are errors, they should be put into perspective. A couple typos and maybe an incorrect sale date or missing a mortgage amount on a comparable is no big deal and isn't going to affect the value opinion. Even when you do find errors like that, they should be communicated as just that, minor errors. People commonly get caught up in the thinking that their job as a reviewer is to play detective and start with a presumption of guilt. To show the original appraiser for the corrupt and evil person they are, and that all errors or differences in opinion or style are proof of that evil. IMO, that's way over the top.

If the original appraiser screwed up or did things they shouldn't have done, that isn't the reviewer's problem, nor can it ever be wrong for them to point it out. Just so long as it's all kept in perspective.

5. Ben Vukicevich SRA

Ben Vukicevich SRA Senior Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    New Jersey
    I remember reading somewhere that HUD was coming down on lenders for not doing enough of their required appraisal reviews for quality control purposes.

Maybe some one will remember the exact statement from HUD.

Ben

6. Oregon Doug

Oregon Doug Senior Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    General Public
    State:
    Oregon
    Christopher - the phrase "internal use only" means that your review/appraisal report will remain within the confines of the earth's gravitational field!

I appraised a hospital back in the 70's and was called before a Senate Subcommittee about three years later to testify as to where I got the replacement cost data!

Oregon Doug

7. Christopher Lauver

Christopher Lauver New Member

May 6, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    New Jersey
    Thanks for the all the comments. What about having the client sign a letter of engagement stating the work to be done is for internal quality control use only? I don't know if it makes a difference, but they are not looking for a written opinion of value just if the report is of good quaility. I went to Standard 3 and it seems that one could report on the quality of the work as long as the "scope" is disclosed. In addition, could it be possible to note all this in the review and be protected?

Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.