1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

uspap violations? neighborhood boundaries

Discussion in 'Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, USPAP' started by kakarotto, Oct 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kakarotto

kakarotto Junior Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    California
    i made a mistake and didn't change out the neighborhood boundaries from one of my old clones. is it a uspap violation? what can happen to me?

2. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Elite Member

Sep 28, 2003
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    New York
    Why are you asking? A complaint? When was the appraisal report delivered? p.s. clerical errors are easily rectified.

3. kakarotto

kakarotto Junior Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    California
    report was delivered in july. property was worth way less than the sales price, and the agent said i was in violation of uspap and reported me to the orea. (i've lived 5 miles from the subject for the last 5 years or so, so i know the area). orea is asking for my work files and i just noticed the error on the neighborhood boundaries.

4. Kevin Mc

Kevin Mc Elite Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    New York
    You are in violation of a mistake, nothing more. Your state board may shake you down for a few bucks but at the end of the day you did not intend to mis communicate anything. I wouldn't worry about it.

5. Lloyd Bonafide

Lloyd Bonafide Senior Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    Don't worry about it. It's not like a mistaken neighborhood boundary would change your value.

Why did the agent report you - they thought you violated USPAP because you didn't hit the sale price? :laugh:

6. Denis DeSaix

Denis DeSaix Elite Member

May 16, 2005
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    California
    If that was the only issue, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I think having some template statements are a good idea and make sense. With few exceptions, however, the ones I use all need to be customized to the specific subject.
    Cloning a report (except when re-doing the same property) is probably not such a good idea. I've found it just as much work making sure I change what is supposed to be changed vs. starting from scratch. Your situation is the perfect example: had the section been blank or even incomplete versus having incorrect information, you'd have been asked to complete it by the lender back in July rather than being asked for your work file by OREA now.

Good luck.

7. CANative

CANative Elite Member

Jun 18, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    Don't worry. I did the exact same thing a couple of days ago. But the stupid AMC sent a stupid condition on the appraisal. I would have told them to F.O. but I found the error and corrected it.

OREA has to respond to a complaint and this means they must have your work file to investigate. This is not a serious error and I doubt they will take any action more serious than a scolding... if that.

8. kakarotto

kakarotto Junior Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    California
    let's say they do fine me (worst case) would it be public or private?

9. CANative

CANative Elite Member

Jun 18, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    Go to www.orea.ca.gov

Go to the link for "find an appraiser."

Go to the bottom of the page and click the "submit" button under:

"To see a listing of all current licensees with public disciplinary action, click the submit button below."

There's a list of 184 appraisers who have had some public disciplinary action. See if you can find anything remotely as trivial as your cloning error.

10. Tom Woolford

Tom Woolford Elite Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Florida
    "Neighborhood" is very subjective. Five different appraisers would probably define 5 different "Neighborhoods" for your subject. Send them the file and unwad your panties. JMHO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.