1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Villa Taj, Burr Ridge Uninhabitable

Discussion in 'Illinois' started by Obsolescent, Mar 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obsolescent

Obsolescent Senior Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Illinois
  2. Mutyger

Mutyger Member

Jul 9, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Missouri
    How in the heck does a dentist afford something like that and still does not live there? Does anyone know where the dentist is currently living? I would like toi see that house too.

3. Obsolescent

Obsolescent Senior Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Illinois
    As I understand it he owned a chain of dental stores and moved to Florida. The Chicago winters were to harsh for his wife.

http://chicagoist.com/2009/10/17/villa_taj_mansion_in_burr_ridge_is.php

4. Pat Butler

Pat Butler Senior Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Illinois
    I appraised something high end like that years ago in LaGrange Park. It was under construction and almost complete. I got the cost data from the lender and started noting all sorts of discrepancies. The guy was rolling in his site and demo expenses (prior house) into his cost workup for his new house. He had outrageously high numbers for his construction costs. I interviewed him and found out he was also trying to finish the basement (against code) and was padding his numbers to have additional money to do that.

Ended up under appraising by hundreds of thousands of dollars. Too bad the lender for this property didn't have a good appraiser.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.