1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

What Fees To Charge? So California.

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by Annelle, Dec 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Annelle

Annelle Junior Member

Jan 26, 2004
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Arizona
    What do appraisers charge generally for properties over 1 Million? I have "call for quote" and now getting calls!! I have somewhat recently gotten my California Cert Res License, and now getting orders for properties over 1 Million estimated value. Prior mentor retired.

I realize that fees are based on complexity and not value, and have a paragraph to that effect on my fee schedule.

Any suggestions?

CAZ Appraisal Group :clapping:

2. Will43

Will43 Senior Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    Ohio
    Check some directories in your area that list appraisers to get an idea.

Take a look at their websites.

3. CANative

CANative Elite Member

Jun 18, 2003
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    California
    Congratulations on your upgrade to AR. How did you do that so fast? Were you licensed in another state. I was checking your license at OREA and it states the license is an initial instead of an upgrade. Also your number is higher than mine and has an August issuance date - one month after mine. I wont have the 2.5 years of licensing until January and my upgrade application is pending with OREA.

As to the fees, consider what the scope of work is for those property types in your area and how much extra time, effort and liability is involved and make a business decision. If clients never give you a hard time about the fee, maybe you've set it too low. If you give out a bunch of quote and few take you up on it, maybe you've got it too high. Trial and error.

4. Tim Hicks (Texas)

Tim Hicks (Texas) Elite Member
    Gold Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Texas
    AVM's charge $35. Try to stay competitive. :rainfro:

5. Bill Rose

Bill Rose Senior Member

Aug 25, 2003
    $800-$1,500, depending on variability.

6. Annelle

Annelle Junior Member

Jan 26, 2004
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Arizona
    HI, Thanks for the suggestions of looking at website, etc. I have tried that first, and hadn't had any luck so far...hense the post. And Greg, I couldn't seem to write to you, so here is my reply:

Yes, I am licensed in AZ. Long story, so won't bore you with the sorted, not so unusual apparently, details, but have been appraising since 98. (had to do 2,000 hours twice, and then the additional 500 for Cert. Interestingly enough, now both CA board and AZ board think I am a very good appraiser. :). Now... if I could just get someone to mentor me under commercial.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.