1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

What Would You Do With This One?

Discussion in 'General Appraisal Discussion' started by Mister Ed, Aug 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mister Ed

Mister Ed Senior Member

Jan 24, 2004
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Georgia
    I received an order to do an appraisal for a refinance.

While driving out to the subject, the office assistant calls me to say that we received another order for the same property, same borrower, new lender.

I get to the house. When I talk to the guy, he says that he wants the appraisal for two lenders (playing one aganst the other) and he pays me cash full fee for each.

I have not deposited the $$$$ yet.

I have two assignments with standard scopes of work (nothing out of the ordinary).

Am I lucky man doing one for the price of two?

Obviously, I cannot pit one lender against the other or even disclose to either client about the other.

Just wanted your thoughts on this.

My thought... what would be the difference between doing it for one lender this week and one next week? It just happens that the inspection(s) took place simultaneously and the orders were received within 24 hours of each other.

-ed-

2. Otis Key

Otis Key Elite Member

May 15, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    New Mexico
    My worthless $0.0002. You've got a conflict right off the bat. You're being utilized by the borrower to the borrower's benefit. Seems like shades of pre FIRREA (S & L fiasco). I'd probably issue a check back to the borrower (paper trail) indicating a full refund and decline the orders from both companies. It sure doesn't sound reasonable or professional to me. I'm curious to see what others say.

3. George W Dodd

George W Dodd Senior Member

Jul 9, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Virginia
    Ed,

No brainer. Do the two appraisals.

4. CANative

CANative Elite Member

Jun 18, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    This has happened to me from time to time. The advise from the forum was to do both appraisals. I think there was a time when client loyalty meant something but it seems in this day and age of mortgageonlinetelemonkey's.com type business models it's every man for himself.

5. Randy Beigh

Randy Beigh Senior Member

Jan 16, 2002
    I agree with George. Do the 2 appraisals.

Keeping the paperwork and the no referencing the other's client,due to confidentiality, is a pain. But, USPAP changed a year or so ago to allow for this type of work and we have done some.

6. Otis Key

Otis Key Elite Member

May 15, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    New Mexico
    There you go. Majority says otherwise. I'll watch this to see how the greatest majority goes on it.

7. Joker

Joker Elite Member

May 28, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Ohio
    Do both appraisals unless your engagement precludes you from doing so. I have one client that I do commercial appraisals for that requires that I sign their engagement letter which states that I will not do an appraisal on the same property for a different lender for a period of one year without first obtaining their permission.

You just got lucky today.

8. Ray Miller

Ray Miller Elite Member

Feb 20, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    Wisconsin
    Two different clients, two assigments.

Just hope that theyare both CAD or the one client has a history with you that they will pay if the loan never close's.

I would run with it keeping to complete work files.

9. Mister Ed

Mister Ed Senior Member

Jan 24, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Georgia
    No instructions to NOT appraise it twice by either client--written or verbal

CASH in fist--full fee--for two appraisals is in hand.

Two different workfiles (photocopies of everything in one of them and originals in the other).

I will create one file in WinTotal without lender information and then clone it and put in all of the individual separate client information in each.

My conclusions would be the same no matter which lender I am doing the work for...

I do recognize Otis' initial concerns... that is why I even raised the question. There is always a first time for everything.

-ed-

10. Chris Colston

Chris Colston Elite Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Florida
    I have to agree with the concensus....as the Nike ads proclaim...JUST DO IT! Two clients, two assignments, two fees, lucky you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.