What would you do?

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Wm. Hattaway, Aug 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wm. Hattaway

Wm. Hattaway Senior Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Florida
    I was doing an appraisal of a REO property for a bank that had not been cleaned out yet (the property, not the bank). There was junk everywhere in the place. In the corner of the garage was a Fenwick Fly Rod in its case. I didn’t take it but I’ve always wondered what happened to the fly rod. What expensive items have you come across that were going to be thrown away?

2. Tom Woolford

Tom Woolford Elite Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Florida
    Bunches. But stealing is stealing no matter what the circumstance. I could make a good living off ebay and stuff left behind in REO's. I've been seriously thinking about forming a clean out company just so I could get the stuff legally.

3. Ariba

Ariba Senior Member

Feb 8, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Colorado
    Nothing of value gets thrown away, in most cases the cleaning company gets to keep it and they sell it on e-bay and/or garage sales.

4. Non Sequitur

Non Sequitur Elite Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Louisiana
    I've ran across tons of stuff but nothing worth losing a client over. And trust me, if it has any value the agent and/or the trash out guy already has plans for it.

5. Pilgrum

Pilgrum Senior Member

Mar 6, 2005
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Nevada
    Years ago I appraised a foreclosed property. Along the side of the house, in the dirt, was a little "Match Box" model car. It was really a cute little thing. It was outside. In the dirt. Nobody lived there. I wanted it. I took it. For the next couple of weeks everything I touched went to H***.
    Now I have to tell you. I felt guilty about taking that little model car and it probably didn't have anything to do with the way things started going. But I finally took it back to the property and placed it right where I found it. Things started going better after that. And I felt better about myself.
    I am not saying anything about karma or any other metaphysical condition. Just my personal experience.

6. Mr Rex

Mr Rex Elite Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    North Carolina
    I have a side business with crews cleaning out foreclosures (aka trash out). If there are over $300 or $500 (depending on the lender) of "personals" present we must stop and bid on storing the stuff for 30 days. Values are based on yard sale prices. The rest gets sorted out and sold via yard sale or craigslist. Vary rarely is there $300-$500 worth of good stuff.

7. Mike Boyd

Mike Boyd Elite Member

Jan 18, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Retired Appraiser
    State:
    California
    Tools, mostly. The temptation is there but I have neven taken anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.