1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

When do you feel reconsideration is pressure?

Discussion in 'General Appraisal Discussion' started by Laurie Norman, Jun 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laurie Norman

Laurie Norman Junior Member

Dec 18, 2004
    Professional Status:
    General Public
    State:
    South Carolina
    What are your personal thoughts and how do you determine a truly honest reconsideration as in "did you consider this one" versus pressure to violate an INDEPENDENT opinion of value?

This one is becoming a fine line and I'd like to hear your opinions.

2. William K

William K Senior Member

Sep 21, 2007
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Illinois
    "Did you consider these sales which we feel are comparable to the subject which you may not have been aware of?"- OK

" Please grid these sales out and give them weight in your opinion of value"- Crosses the Line

" Use these sales instead of the ones you chose"- Blatant Pressure

3. CANative

CANative Elite Member

Jun 18, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    Good summary William.

My answer to the OPs question: Never. Because I always maintain control over the client with regard to my appraisal.

4. Laurie Norman

Laurie Norman Junior Member

Dec 18, 2004
    Professional Status:
    General Public
    State:
    South Carolina
    Very well said.

5. panappr

panappr Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    Of the 16 properties reviewed and analyzed in the final analysis, the 7 comparable sales and listings provided were considered the best, most recent and relevant indicators of value.

Something like this used to lead the reader to understand that you have considered more than was necessary or required in the overall development of your conclusion. Now you have to actually provide all 16 in your reconciliation, plus look at and rebut sales from an adjoining community in order to stop any doubt from leaking into the minds of everyone who seem to always see things differently. :peace:

Shouldn't take more than 48 hours.

6. Mile High Trout

Mile High Trout Elite Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Colorado
    Laurie, it's the same old thing, with a new tidy package and bow on the top.

Preferential appraisal assignment leads to conflicts of interest.

Departure from round robin distribution systems allows clients to have pressure based expectations they structure their entire appraiser engagement model under.

It's really much simpler than that. Either an appraiser is qualified to be on that approved panel or they're not. Round robin distribution methods and cost + engagement for ancillary middle men services is the solution to a great many problems in real estate appraisal assignment.

If you want appraiser independence, the logical first step is to stop segregating the appraisers who are supposedly of equal quality. There is no peer standard, because a non-discount appraiser won't play ball to review the discounted work requests.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  7. vanguard

vanguard Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Professional Status:
    Retired Appraiser
    State:
    Minnesota
    If someone is providing additional sales, I would ask the client to name that person so that you Can include them in your report. The notation below is from the Appraisers Certification section. Tell the client that you would be violating USPAP by not including the name of your assistant in the report.

19. I personally prepared all conclusions and opinions about the real estate that were set forth in this appraisal report. If I relied on significant real property appraisal assistance from any individual or individuals in the performance of this appraisal or the
    preparation of this appraisal report, I have named such individual(s) and disclosed the specific tasks performed in this appraisal report. I certify that any individual so named is qualified to perform the tasks. I have not authorized anyone to make a change to any item in this appraisal report; therefore, any change made to this appraisal is unauthorized and I will take no responsibility for it.

8. Mike Garrett RAA

Mike Garrett RAA Elite Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Colorado
    I consider all requests for a "reconsideration" to be pressure. That said, as VA appraisers, we have to live with it. Usually a real estate agent will submit a whole bunch of sales most of which are not comparable for a variety of reasons. There have been times when there is a sale that is comparable that would support a higher value. If that is the case I will use it and amend my appraisal. In nearly all of those cases the sale was not found because of an error in how it was reported to MLS. Things like wrong MLS marketing area or not being reported as closed, or listed with a wrong style. Just had one of those last month.

9. Terrel L. Shields

Terrel L. Shields Elite Member
    Gold Supporting Member

May 2, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Arkansas
    fine line as in "line"? or "lying"... perhaps you misspelled that. :)
    it seems that to allow someone else to bias your opinion (which is biased enough by yourself) violates the very certification REQUIRED by USPAP yet state and mortgage laws as well as bank laws allow lenders, UWs and Reviewers to attempt to lead you where you never went previously. We are not talking about pointing out errors. We are talking about pushing towards a new value, a new comp, a new thought about the problem at hand.
    right answer

10. Pittsburgh Pete

Pittsburgh Pete Elite Member

May 6, 2008
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Pennsylvania
    Pressure is implicit in any reconsideration of value. It comes with the territory--always has and always will. If one is incapable of withstanding the pressure, one is in the wrong line of work. Deal with it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.