1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

When do you make adjustment for lot size

Discussion in 'General Appraisal Discussion' started by KJR2008, Nov 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KJR2008

KJR2008 Junior Member

Jun 3, 2008
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Texas
    Just curious on how the more experienced here determine when an adjustment for lot size is made. When in the absence of lot sales, paired sales of improved properties dont offer much in the way of a value trend. Subject is 8,000 SF and the comparables are 6,500 SF, 7,100 SF and 9,700 SF all within the same subdivision, all similar in all aspects other than size, do you make adjustments for the difference?

2. leelansford

leelansford Elite Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Illinois
    When and where the data indicates that the market is paying more or less for variations in size of site, then adjust for what the market is telling you.

There's no "one size fits all" response to your question.

3. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Elite Member

Sep 28, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    New York
    "Subject is 8,000 SF and the comparables are 6,500 SF, 7,100 SF and 9,700 SF all within the same subdivision, all similar in all aspects other than size, do you make adjustments for the difference?"

Alternative look: 0.18 Acre versus 0.15 Acre, 0.16 Acre, 0.22 Acre - same subdivision.

variances 0.03 Acre, 0.02 Acre, 0.04 Acre

questions: do typical buyers in that subdivision really pay a premium for such minimal variances?

current data not fruitful (per OP)

could expand the retrospective time line of closed sales and vacant lots IN that subdivision - adjust for market conditions variance (time).

could identify similar Current & Retro lots and improved sales in competing subdivisions

could also identify current Actives (both lots & improved props) in addition to closed sales

could review prior appraisals done in that neighborhood, and subdivision, as well.

could survey local RE agents to determine market reaction to minimal variance.

could conclude based on the above - the variances are so minimal they have no impact on MV - perhaps street location and view play a role in appeal versus less than 1/10th acre variance.

4. leelansford

leelansford Elite Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Illinois

"And another thing..."

As you reflect, do consider that the gross size is not the be-all, end-all.

In some neighborhoods that I frequent, a site of 75' x 150' (11,250 sf) would have a significantly higher value than a site of 50' x 225' (11,250 sf). :)

5. Don Clark

Don Clark Elite Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Virginia
    When indicated by the facts, and the market. Example....I did an appraisal of a property on the Ocean Front. The subject was on a lot that was 75x150'. 3 comparable lot sales(yes, I was lucky enough to have lot sales) all sold between $1.3 and $1.5 million. The 3 comparable property sales were as near matched pairs as was possible with the main issue being the lots. Each had lots similar to the subject. The reconcilliation of the lot sales, with current sales of similar sites was that a value of $1million was indicated as some of the sales were well over a year. Then I had a 4th comp property sale that had a double lot (150x150 and sold for almost exactly $1million more than the other propertis. I made a -$1million adjustment. The lender almost crapped their pants, but when I pointed out exactly why, they really could not argue.

6. RSW

RSW Elite Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Tennessee
    I just pull out my adjustments book that was upated in early 2009. Don't you have one?

7. Jerry Bone Jr

Jerry Bone Jr Senior Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    Oregon
    "When do you make adjustment for lot size?" When the difference is measurable and significant.

8. Elliott

Elliott Elite Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Oregon
    When adjust? When I think the market would recognize the difference as
    significant to marketability. Haven't been to a BBQ lately where HO's were
    bragging about their lot size. But they sure talk about their remodeled
    kitchen with marble countertops and their "top chief" appliances.

9. DMZwerg

DMZwerg Senior Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Wisconsin
    Yep.
    When talking a small percentage or dollar value difference a lot of other factors could be more important: corner lot, cul du sac, "court", backing the wood, backing the retention pond, across from the green space (park, open area, whatnot).

Reexamine and determine if an adjustment is mandated and which factors seem most important.

10. The Dog

The Dog Senior Member

Apr 18, 2005
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Oregon
    Did you not get your 2009 BOOK OF REAL ESTATE ADJUSTMENTS? It is updated on a yearly basis and pretty accurate and helps you in making adjustments. :rof:

Seriously, you make the adjustments when the market tells you that an adjustments is needed. That is what APPRAISING is all about. There is no way that anyone can answer your question here, as each situation is different.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.