1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

When is the appraisal report finished?

Discussion in 'Urgent - Help Needed' started by Wayne Henry, Oct 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wayne Henry

Wayne Henry Junior Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Maryland
    I received a message from one of my clients today regarding an appraisal report that I completed last month. The request asked me to change the old report to "subject to" from "as-is" and attached to the email was plans for new windows. I thought that when the report leaves the office it is done and over with unless you have to add a sale or commentary, am I wrong? I told them they would have to order a new report so lets see what happens.

2. residentialguy

residentialguy Elite Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Minnesota
    you're right. You can't change an old report. Do a final...that is essentially turning the old report to an as-is report.

3. Scott R Marshall

Scott R Marshall Senior Member

Dec 14, 2006
    Professional Status:
    State:
    New Mexico
    Were you initially told to value the subject as if it had new windows? If not, not only is their request not valid but by changing the report you are potentially making your initial opinion of value invalid. Was the subject possibly worth more with new/upgraded windows as opposed to what it had? It is a new assignment, period. What you decide to charge for it is a business decision.

4. PropertyEconomics

PropertyEconomics Elite Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    New Mexico
    If the scope of the assignment changes, as in the case of the OP, it is a new assignment with a new scope of work.

5. Lee in L.A.

Lee in L.A. Elite Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    Unless that was part of the original order, new appraisal, like they said +1. :peace:

6. Cob

Cob Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Texas
    When does it end? Are they going to call you in month and say they are getting a new roof and then a month later they are updating the baths or kitchen?:shrug:

7. AnonApprsr

AnonApprsr Elite Member

Jan 21, 2008
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Massachusetts
  8. Blueprint

Blueprint Senior Member

Aug 25, 2005
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Oregon
    It is up to you as to how you want to handle it, yet unless it was a condition in the original appraisal order, it needs to be treated as a new assignment with a new scope of work.

9. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Elite Member

Sep 28, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    New York
    "The request asked me to change the old report to "subject to" from "as-is" and attached to the email was plans for new windows."

See USPAP 2010-2011 FAQs

111, 130, 170, 171, 173

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  10. incognito

incognito Senior Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Florida
    Yes, but definitely a new scope of work and a new appraisal assignment. Do it for free if you want, but make sure you have all of the USPAP required information in the NEW appraisal file for the NEW appraisal assignment!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.