1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Who is Danny Wiley?

Discussion in 'Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, USPAP' started by Workbox, Jul 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Workbox

Workbox Elite Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Colorado
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2007
  2. Jerry Bone Jr

Jerry Bone Jr Senior Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    Oregon
    You two timing son of a... :)

3. Rich Heyn

Rich Heyn Senior Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Michigan
    Danny Wiley is an SRA from Nashville. He was on the ASB for six years, I believe, and was chair of the ASB for maybe three. I've known Danny for many years and he's one of the most down-to-earth and at the same time time, brightest guys I know. Regular fella, motorcycle rider, likable, honest and decent -- the kind of guy you just like from the minute you meet him. Runs a four or five appraiser shop; does everything from doublewides to Faith Hill's house. Residential practice and many years in the biz.

If Zaio is consulting with Danny, they picked one of the brightest and best USPAP minds in the country.

I believe the "key chair" that Ken V. was referring to was a bit of an overstatement on Ken's part. Zaio has a seat on the Industry Advisory Council, nothing more. The IAC is a voluntary group of industry participants, mostly lenders, AMC's, appraisal firms, etc. IAC is simply what the title states, an advisory council that makes suggestions to the AQB and the ASB.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2007
  4. Non Sequitur

Non Sequitur Elite Member
    Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Louisiana
    Wow. Ken V. and others complain about how they're treated here.

Good rant.

5. Renee Healion

Renee Healion Senior Member

Feb 21, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Connecticut
    I think something catchy came out of that rant: "a PRE WHAT?" The Biz Entity in question could name their product a PreWhatZ.

6. Pamela Crowley (Florida)

Pamela Crowley (Florida) Elite Member

Jan 13, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Retired Appraiser
    State:
    Florida
    Gee, that's a group with the appraiser's best interests in mind...... NOT.

7. Rich Heyn

Rich Heyn Senior Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Michigan
    Well, I'm not so sure about the lender's and AMC's, but you don't think the appraisal companies represented on the IAC have appraisers' interests in mind?

8. Don Clark

Don Clark Elite Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Virginia
    Pamela,

As long as they just "advise" I am not troubled that much. When it becomes "Advise & Consent", as some aledge, then I am troubled. I am starting to be troubled by their influence which may be greater than the influenec of all appraisers put together. I hope not. However, they do show up for TAF meetings. How many appraisers show up? I can tell you, not many even tho TAF moves their meetings around the country so they can. When they are in or near Virginia I do go.

Danny Wiley is the best friend we could have no matter where he serves.

9. Fred

Fred Elite Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Retired Appraiser
    State:
    Virgin Islands
    Even more fundamental, why do people involved with the Appraisal Foundation have an obligation to be advocates for appraisers' interests? The Foundation was created to protect the public, not to improve appraisers' personal bank accounts.

As to the original question, Danny is an appraiser I swap emails and phone calls with a few times per year. He gave me some good fantasy football advice concerning the Titans about five years ago that I should have heeded.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2007
  10. DWiley

DWiley Senior Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Tennessee
    Who is Danny Wiley?

As Rich said, I am an appraiser in Nashville, Tennessee. I own a small company with the catchy name, The Wiley Group (www.wileygroup.net). At present The Wiley Group employs four appraisers. I have worked in the appraisal business since 1982. In the past I worked at a firm that appraised both commercial and residential property. Ten years ago I started my own firm specializing in residential work, because that’s what I like to do.

I served on the ASB for six years, from 2001 through 2006. I was Chair of the ASB in 2002, 2003 and 2004. My term expired December 31, 2006. After leaving the ASB I was approached by several companies about consulting on USPAP related projects. Some offers I rejected, and some I accepted.

I am currently working as an independent consultant to Zaio on USPAP matters. Zaio has announced this in public meetings, so it is not a secret. Contrary to what was posted in the thread from the Total Forum, my work with Zaio began after I left the ASB. I have said many times that I wish the truth spread across the Internet at even half the speed the misinformation seems to travel.

ASB members serve subject to the terms of their contracts with The Appraisal Foundation and the Bylaws of The Appraisal Foundation, neither of which allow USPAP consulting while one is still on the ASB.

The insinuation that Advisory Opinions were changed based on private consulting work is absurd, untrue and frankly, insulting. I know that Zaio is a “hot button” with appraisers. That is not an excuse to post things that are blatant lies.

Zaio is a member of The Industry Advisory Council of The Appraisal Foundation. This group reviews proposed exposure drafts and provides feedback on them (and other matters) from the perspective of the users of appraisal services. You may recall that one of the tests to measure the acceptability of one’s scope of work involves the expectations of intended users (formerly referred to as market participants). Hence, the feedback of the intended users is very important. Plus, it is incumbent on any profession to make sure it is meeting the legitimate needs of those seeking help from that profession.

More information on the IAC, including a list of all members, can be found at

http://www.appraisalfoundation.org/s_appraisal/sec.asp?CID=62&DID=91

Anyone with any further questions about who I am can simply email me. Or if you prefer you can do what others have done and just make stuff up and post it for the world to read.

Danny Wiley

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.