1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Why do residential appraisers?

Discussion in 'General Appraisal Discussion' started by Michigan CG, Jun 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michigan CG

Michigan CG Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Nov 1, 2006
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Michigan
    Why do residential appraisers always write reports in third person. Example (from another thread): The appraiser viewed the area stated to be where the septic system and leach field was contained and noted no signs of malfunction. The appraiser is not an expert in on site waste water systems and if further assurance of this private utility is required, it is strongly recommended that an expert's opinion be sought.

My reports are written in the first person. I viewed the area.....I am not an expert.....I inspected the attic.....I researched sales...

2. Vermonter

Vermonter Senior Member

Mar 21, 2007
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Vermont
    Don't know exactly....but that was the way I was taught.

I'll be interested to hear some answers, cuz I don't have a good reason.

3. CANative

CANative Elite Member

Jun 18, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    I've gone back and forth on that over the years.

One sounds more detached and objective (relying on the title "appraiser") but a bit pretentious and the other sounds more personal and cozy but kind of takes the "appraiser" part out of the dynamic.

I guess it's a matter of who I'm writing the report for. Most residential appraisers are writing to nameless entities while many commercial appraisers are speaking to a real person.

4. Captain Common Sense

Captain Common Sense Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    Mike doesn't like to talk about Mike in the third person but, that's the way Mike was taught so that is the way Mike does it.

Mike has always wondered the same thing though.....why? Mike likes Can's answer.

Mike may have had too much cofee this morning.:Eyecrazy:

5. Tim Hicks (Texas)

Tim Hicks (Texas) Elite Member
    Gold Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Texas
    I don't think any kind of lending documents should be written in first person. This is not a high school book report. It is a document that will be passed between untold business entities and should not be personalized with first person writing skills. Legal documents are not written in first persion. Engagement letters are not written in first person. Appraiser agreements are not written in first person. Etc,etc.

6. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Elite Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Georgia
    Most of our reports are written in third person; makes it easier to overwrite a new report when you have a CG do the appraisal and the reviewer MAI is also signing.

7. RSW

RSW Elite Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Tennessee
    The appraiser does not like to use the word "I' in his appraisal reports. Sounds like the Id or ego complex to the appraiser.

8. leelansford

leelansford Elite Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Illinois

This appraiser has been wondering about the same thing.

9. Lost Cause

Lost Cause Senior Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    New York
    Some take this third person thing to grotesque extremes. I simply cannot stand to read reports where the report writer refers to him/herself as "Your Appraiser".

10. Michigan CG

Michigan CG Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Nov 1, 2006
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Michigan
    Below are excerpts from an assignment Scope of Work section for vacant residential land.
    Below it is changed to the third person:

The appraiser has researched recent land sales in Monroe County for this assignment. In [COLOR="Red"[/COLOR][/B] the appraiser files [COLOR="Red"]there[/COLOR] are over forty recent rural residential land sales of which seven are included in this report; most of these properties have been purchased for future residential development. These sales are all took place in 2010 with the exception of sale #17 which is in Exeter Township and sold in December of 2009. These sales appear to be indicative of the current rural residential vacant land market although they are not consistent overall.

More sales could be included, but it is the appraiser's opinion that additional sales would not indicate a different value and additional sales would be from farther distances which may have different advantages and disadvantages including location, land amenities and proximity to employment centers.

In this report the appraiser has interviewed the property owner who was at the property at the time of my inspection. Assessment records were obtained for all of the comparable properties. All properties have been viewed from the street and MLS listings (when applicable) were reviewed.

The appraiser has included this market evidence considering that the current interim Highest and Best Use of the subject property is for vacant land use until the housing market improves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.