1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

WinTotal alternative location Map source??

Discussion in 'a la mode (TOTAL)' started by Tom Crump, Jan 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom Crump

Tom Crump New Member

May 1, 2006
    The location map feature provided with an annual membership does not work if you don't renew (at least $349/year with Alamode.) What are some of the options to still get location maps from other sources? Anyone doing this???? thanks!

2. john marcinik

john marcinik Sophomore Member

Apr 13, 2004
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Maryland
    Other Maps

I was starting to do this when Win total wasn't going to support the older software. Then Mr. Big blinked as he should have and I went back to their mapping.

I used my local MLS called MRIS. I would eliminate all comparables but the 3 or so I was going to use. I just clicked map these comps and all of the comparables would appear on (I think) a microsoft map.

I would then right click the map and choose copy. From the mapping function in Total I would select the "copy from clipboard" item.

All the comparables would show up on the map. Then I would edit the map to add the location of the subject property.

I'm sure you could do this with Street 2006 or some other software out there.

3. Tom Crump

Tom Crump New Member

May 1, 2006
    when you use a third party map program - like Street 2006 - I know you can place comp locations on it - but what about calculating distances? How would Alamode have a clue as to the distance from your subject??

4. TEL2002

TEL2002 Elite Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Retired Appraiser
    State:
    Louisiana
    Get out a paper/book map and measure the distances, then type it in the report. This is what I did before we had internet mapping capability.

If you want free software, it is gonna come with some inconveniences.

5. MEL

MEL Member

Feb 27, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Massachusetts
    Tom, In Streets and Trips 2006 under the tools menu there is a measure distance. After you measure you will have to type your distances in on the form.

6. Tony Blackburn

Tony Blackburn Junior Member

Jan 24, 2006
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    I think what Tom is asking, is "Is there an alternative withg the same capabilities as what I pay $349/yr for, that is free/cheap."

I hear ya...I have had the same question. Really, is $349 or so/year worth it to not have to cut and paste a map and estimate distances.

I have MS Mappoint 2006 http://www.microsoft.com/mappoint/products/2006/default.mspx

This is the program that Bradford uses to map thier comparables automatically. I think WinTotal is the same. I think they have it on a server that your client accesses to get the map and distances.

I would love to have it on my server and have my program (Bradford or Alamode) point to it. I just dont know how.

7. Mary Carter

Mary Carter Sophomore Member

Oct 23, 2004
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    Arizona
    They told me the last two days they have a $199 special on 'Silver membership', good til the end of Jan.

Yesterday, I played with Microsoft Maps & Trips (2002), Mapquest and MLS maps and determined the MLS maps are the best substitute, IMO. No, it doesn't calc distances, but those can be estimated or obtained from another mapping app.

8. Thomas Blake

Thomas Blake New Member

Jul 16, 2006
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    Welcome, here's a link to alamode training. You can download manuals from there and more. Best of luck!

9. Mister Ed

Mister Ed Senior Member

Jan 24, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Georgia
    To each appraiser his own decision....

For each it is a business decision. For me, I stick with Alamode. Our annual fee is for much more than just the maps--even though that is definitely part of it.

My partner and I completed a combined 718 residential appraisal reports in 2006. That is less than $0.50 per location map. To not have to go into another piece of software, add the locations, map them, copy/paste into Wintotal, type in the distances, etc. That is pretty inexpensive from my point of view. Also, for that less than $0.50, the FEMA and Census Tract information is pulled and automatically entered into my report--along with the distances, etc. from the map. To me, time is money. Like many on this forum, I work pretty long hours (and spend a little too much time some days on the forum) and want to take all legitimate time shortcuts that I can. Otherwise, what is the use in having a wife and kids if you can't give them an ample amount of your time?

EDIT HERE----> We have a pretty big package with a few bells and whistles (web site, vault, etc.) Even at that, our total software costs per appraisal was less than $2 per. Of course, that software cost per appraisal fluctuates with the number of appraisals actually performed.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2007
  10. Couch Potato

Couch Potato Elite Member

Mar 15, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    North Carolina
    My time is valuable enough that I don't mind paying for things that help me do my job faster, easier. I can get more money, but time cannot be replaced.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.