1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Wintotal Suxs

Discussion in 'a la mode (TOTAL)' started by Doug Meyer, Aug 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Meyer

Doug Meyer Senior Member

Sep 13, 2003
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Indiana
    After several years of Wintotal, I am getting tired of no or poor quality service. I have a Platinum membership and it takes me 25-25 minutes to reach tech suport. Then when I do connect, I get a low grade teck person and he cannot solve the problem. Then I have to wait again to get a senior tech person who also cannot solve a problem. I have been waiting for days to get an issue resolved with no tech response and/or incorrect fixes by their support staff. This is a waste of my money. Anyone else with tech issues with wintotal?

2. Stone

Stone Elite Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Wisconsin
    Actually, I have only had good experiences with their tech support. :shrug:

3. Workbox

Workbox Elite Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Colorado
    What is the issue? It may not always be the program. I have had to reformatt and tweak some things in order to make my computer to work properly with some of my software. Can you give us some specs on your computer.

4. Nancy Wyatt

Nancy Wyatt Senior Member

Nov 21, 2003
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Colorado
    I have not heard of a dissatisfied customer who uses Appraisal Studio from United Systems. I love it. Customer support is excellent. I really don't know why most people use Win Total. I've used about 4 different programs, but of course I have not used the lastest version of any of them, except Appraisal Studio.

5. Will43

Will43 Senior Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    Ohio
    I called Appraisal Studio for the h*ll of it.

It is more expensive than Alamode to maintain.

The service contract is $398 plus the flood maps. (100 for $99)

I have been using Alamode software for about 3 years and have not found anything better. However, it is cheaper to get started with Appraisal Studio.

6. josephdifranco

josephdifranco Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Illinois
    If you are running Norton, watch out. Try uninstalling it and running Wintotal again.

Regarding tech support, I think it depends on the nature of the problem. 90% of my problems were handled by the first person who I spoke with. Sometimes I have to wait, but generally response times are fine, I have the silver membership.

Only once did I get a trainee, it took a while, but she did get the job done.

Also so many appraisers are on Wintotal in the Chicago area, I can work directly with many of them. In fact, if I get aci as well, I'd probably be able to work with about 90% of the split fee appraisers here.

Software works well and has all the features needed, only thing is they are constantly taking away functionality if you don't upgrade the product or buy additional products. For example, Apex 2.0 is having a problem, sometimes the sketch does not save properly, and Wintotal does not support Apex 2.0 anymore. I sometimes wonder if they purposely created the problem with Apex 2.0. Another example, you can't get credit card processing without going to the most expensive website membership.

Last negative thing I can think of is they are always on the move for my wallet, sales calls, emails, and faxes seem to come in bunches.

On the whole, if I watch my wallet, Wintotal is fine with me, it does the job.

7. Couch Potato

Couch Potato Elite Member

Mar 15, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    North Carolina
    I called tech support only a few times and found them quite knowledgeable. My only complaints are the bug I had encountered was rated very low priority. I quit using the order manager rather than wait for them to fix it. The other complaint would be that a call to tech support is needed to remove any al a mode product completely. While the license security method works very well on installation, removal is anything but intuitive.

8. JonGalt

JonGalt Junior Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Illinois
    I'm actually on hold right now waiting for tech support from WinTotal (12 minutes). I've had very few problems with Alamode and find it superior to ACI which I used for 2 years. (only 6 more minutes till I get help!) :cool:

9. Christian Peters

Christian Peters New Member

Aug 8, 2005
    I love wintotal I also have platinum and they usually answer within 4-5 min. It's got to be the superior software.

10. Dale Smalley

Dale Smalley Senior Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Florida
    I usally send them a email then they call me back. I don't keep track of how long but I don't have wait on the phone. Yeah you kind of have to weed out the skippy techie on the hard ones. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.