1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Would like opinions and comments

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Pamela Biggers, Sep 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pamela Biggers

Pamela Biggers Junior Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
    State:
    Arizona
    I've been offered a position (would not be using my appraisers license) at a company. I am considering differences and pros and cons between being a home based appraiser and working for a company. Obviously with the market and current issues in our industry it is looking favorable to work for a company with steady pay. It would be nice to have paid vacation and sick days. Also, I can still keep my appraisers license and go back to being self employed at any time. There is much opportunity to move up and there are good opportunities that could come from the experience. I have untill Monday to decide and would appreciate any constructive imput.

Yeah, I know. All the Tucson appraisers are going to say "WOO HOO take the job. More work for us.":new_smile-l:

2. Hamlet

Hamlet Elite Member

Aug 14, 2006
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Ohio
    Hi Pamela,

I don't know how helpful this advice will be, but whenever I have a big decision/problem, I list the pros and cons out on paper. Sometimes it makes it easier to see when it is listed 1,2,3. :)

3. John "Corky" Harry

John "Corky" Harry Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Virginia
    Go for it! Change is good. And keep your license current to fall back on.

4. Tom Woolford

Tom Woolford Elite Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Florida
    If I had a chance to take a staff job that would pay the bills and had benifits (forget vacations: give me insurance) I'd take it in a Nw York SECOND.

5. Mike Boyd

Mike Boyd Elite Member

Jan 18, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Retired Appraiser
    State:
    California
    If the job is something you think you would like to do, go for it. If you have any regular appraisal clients, I bet you could still do those assignments.

6. Wayne Tomlinson

Wayne Tomlinson Senior Member

Jan 25, 2005
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Illinois
    I have long said that the great benefit of being self-employed has been greatly over sold. I did not much care for the time that I was an employee, but when I look at the retirement and benefits that my contemporarys have I wonder if perhaps I may have short changed my family by going on my own.

Look it over good, keep your license, likely you can even do a few appraisals along for practice.

In these times, a regular check has got to look good.

Wayne Tomlinson

7. Tom Woolford

Tom Woolford Elite Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Florida

GOOD? Try GREAT !

8. Ray Miller

Ray Miller Elite Member

Feb 20, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    Wisconsin
    Some can work for someone some can't. I could not.

Take it run with it for a while, if it does not work out, you can fall back on your other skills.

9. Liz Mura

Liz Mura Member

Oct 20, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Arizona
    Pam I'm in a similar sinking boat as I have not had one order since June. I think you need to determine what is MOST important to you at this time. If it's income, try a part-time position so you can still do appraisal work if it comes in. You'll likely make as much doing one appraisal as you would make working all week at another job. (What I'm running into with my limited experience in other fields) If benefits (such as insurance) are more important, go ahead and take the job full-time. It's just SO hard to give up your license that you've worked so hard to get. This market will change...someday.

10. Pamela Biggers

Pamela Biggers Junior Member

Jan 15, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
    State:
    Arizona
    Thanks for the advice.

Unfortunatly this particular position will not let me do fee appraisal (it has been discussed with the boss) on my own so extra side jobs will not be possible. I had origionally hoped for this to be part time so I could still do fee appraisal but that won't work. In Tucson it is hard to find a well paying part time position (unless you are a loan officer or real estate agent and I'm trying to get away from that side of the industry.) You could say this company wanted me and pursued me more than I pursued the position - which is a plus.

While I am not using my license I am using skills I've developed as an appraiser and they will constantly be refreshed so it shouldn't be hard to go back. Then again my intentions are to not go back.

Again thanks for the advice and opinions. I'm actually looking forward to not having to deal with borrowers and LO's, not putting tons of miles on my car, not working on weekends woohoo, etc. Just too much junk going on in the appraisal industry and the overall market. I think I'll ask them for two weeks to finish up my current assignments and wave goodbye.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.