1. Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premiere online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Yes/No Flood Hazard Area

Discussion in 'Urgent - Help Needed' started by Walter Skaggs, Feb 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Walter Skaggs

Walter Skaggs New Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Professional Status:
    Certified General Appraiser
    State:
    Montana
    If the lot lies in the 100 year flood plain but the residence is not do you click the yes or no box for flood hazard area?

I've always checked yes and explained, however I've got a mortgage broker who is insisting I check no because the survey shows the residence in not in the flood zone. (but 1/2 the lot is)

2. Jerry Lieb

Jerry Lieb Junior Member

Aug 14, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    California
    Walter - It's my understanding that if any portion of the lot is in a flood plain, whether or not the actual structure is in it, it must still be shown as being in the flood plain. I don't recall where I heard this - probably at a seminar.

I'm sure others will come in here to give their suggestions.

Good luck.

Jerry

3. Mztk1

Mztk1 Senior Member

Dec 3, 2006
    Professional Status:
    Certified Residential Appraiser
    State:
    Florida
    I put "X" or "C" and "A" in the zone and check yes, then in the site section I state that per the survey the improvements are not in the flood zone and flood insurance is likely not required. I add a comment about deferring to any contrary finding via a flood certification, and state whether or not it influences value or marketability. I will also check my comps and hpe to find one with a similar location. That's about it.

4. Terrel L. Shields

Terrel L. Shields Elite Member
    Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of the Month

May 2, 2002
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Arkansas
    I believe that fannie now says that you must check the box if any part of the site lies in a flood plain. It is up to the lender. It is in their ball park.

5. AL LLANOS

AL LLANOS Junior Member

Apr 28, 2006
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    California
    Most likely the lender will rely on another source other than the appraisal for the flood zone data, regardless of what you mark it. That has been my experience on those too close to call.

Al

6. TJSum

TJSum Elite Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Maryland
    I agree with the other posters and Jim here, except I would take out the part that states "and flood insurance is likely not required". No need to go there, that is not our call.

7. Dominic

Dominic Sophomore Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Professional Status:
    Licensed Appraiser
    State:
    California
    Read Limiting Condition #3...

"...the appraiser has noted in this appraisal report whether any portion (my bold) of the subject site is located in an identified Special Flood Hazard Area."

8. Couch Potato

Couch Potato Elite Member

Mar 15, 2004
    Professional Status:
    State:
    North Carolina
    I'd check "No."

The Fannie selling guide says:
    Personally I include a flood map from my service provider. I put what that map says in my report. If I had a survey showing the improvements are not in a flood plain, I would check the "No" box.

9. hglenbetts

hglenbetts Senior Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Professional Status:
    State:
    Michigan
    The insurance company insures the improvements, thus the comment about none needed (flood insurance) if the structure is outside the flood plane.

If your SOW includes appraising the real estate with the improvements, the subject of the assignment lays within the flood plane.

10. Mike Boyd

Mike Boyd Elite Member

Jan 18, 2002
    Professional Status:
    Retired Appraiser
    State:
    California
    I agree....but in my market area an elevation certificate is required. Sometimes this is available from the building department and any survey must show the elevation. Then, the building department will issue the certificate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.