Thread: Joplin Hospital
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2011, 11:18 AM

State: Arkansas
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

No doubt that Joplin has been able to support both and both are good hospitals. But I wonder if Joplin won't be a smaller town for a while, for sure. And many of the SJH employees are working at Freeman as we speak considering the huge number of seriously injured people. But on the National news I never once heard anyone mention Freeman nor even that had the hospital was so close to St. Johns. Good lesson though. Don't rebuild SW or NE of Freeman. Most tornados travel from SW to NE and placing both hospitals in that line would have potential to destroy both.

What worse disaster could happen than to have lost both hospitals?

On the human side, so so many sad stories. Women who died sheltering their children. People sucked out of their cars with seat belts broken or even remaining latched. A woman found in a closet clutching her bible beneath her. People sheltering behind concrete walls that fell on them.

(BTW. I knew an engineer who used to design WalMart and other similar "Big Box" stores. Those are built to the absolute minimum (read flimsy) standards. That engineer used to police the site like a hawk because the builders would often cut corners even with such minimal standards. He had the "big guys" from some of those companies jumping up and down. He said, "I held my ground. After all, it is MY signature on those plans, not theirs." I would as soon seek shelter in a card board box.)