Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > FHA/HUD and VA
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 02:16 PM

State: Texas
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

Don, I thought FHA did want the properties to be compliant with local codes?? No?
Sponsored Links

Old 05-28-2009, 03:19 PM

State: North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by sconway View Post
Don, I thought FHA did want the properties to be compliant with local codes?? No?

3–5 Code Enforcement for Existing Properties

Local municipalities design local housing code standards; therefore, enforcement of such housing standards rests with the local authority. HUD does not have the authority or the responsibility for enforcing local housing codes except for mortgages on properties to be insured under Section 221(d)(2)–a program with mortgage limits at $36,000. Loans insured under Section 221(d)(2) of the National Housing Act require code enforcement. The appraiser should contact the lender for further instructions if the mortgage is to be insured under Section 221(d)(2).
Old 05-28-2009, 11:52 PM

State: Maryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by db057 View Post
If it's a health and safety hazzard then definately call it. I am FHA and when in doubt call it. I had one where the house had no rear fencing but large dogs on frayed ropes and the house was adjacent to a parking lot used for the Movie theaters and told them to fence the property which the bank insisted on before they would loan. The bank agreed but some of my associates had a fit. But it was a definate hazzard imo at that time.
No offense, but you went way over the line by requiring a fence to be installed just because someone owned large dogs. Question: Please tell me how the lack of a fence was a health and safety issue to the owners/occupants of the subject property? Answer: it was not a health and safety issue to the owner and occupants of the subject property and no reasonable argument can be made that it was. Thus, instead of following actual FHA protocols, you simply injected your own personal bias into an appraisal report and required something that is simply not required by FHA protocols. This actually might be the most ridiculous appraisal conditions that I have ever heard of.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:28 AM

State: Florida

Rickhart, down here in South Florida, it depends on the age of the dwelling since every property from 2000 till now required either a pool fence around the pool itself OR screaching alarms on every door/window that has access to the pool area. Everything built before 2000 falls on the old codes/ordinances which required a fence around your property to keep out unwelcomed guests. For fha purposes, you must follows your local zoning ordinances or building codes.. hope that helps !
Old 05-31-2009, 07:02 PM

State: New York
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

In ground pool without a fence around it is in violation of the "The law of attractive uses" whereby a child of tender years would be naturally attracted to said in ground pool. I personally believe that as an appraiser doing an FHA appraisal we are required to report safety problems...in my opinion this is a safety problem.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:46 PM

State: Maryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crippled Chef View Post
In ground pool without a fence around it is in violation of the "The law of attractive uses" whereby a child of tender years would be naturally attracted to said in ground pool. I personally believe that as an appraiser doing an FHA appraisal we are required to report safety problems...in my opinion this is a safety problem.
The legal concept that you refer to is called "attractive nuisance" and the laws regarding attractive nuisance vary greatly from state to state. In some states, it very easy to sue if someone is injured because of an attractive nuisance while in other states it is virtually impossible to win such a lawsuit.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crippled Chef View Post
I've never seen a sales contract for FHA that said "oh by the way the buyer has small children". Not my job man.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:28 PM

State: New York
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser
Default Pool with no fence

Here in NY the law is "law of attractive uses" and is designed to protect small children who have a natural attraction to dangerous things...pools, large construction sites, drainage ditches etc...it is a safety issue to have an inground pool with no fence...no matter if the sales contract says they have small kids or not...common sense dictates a safety issue also.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:16 AM

Common sense?! Every year garage doors close and injure or kill children. Are you going to call for the removal of the garage door? Every year drape cords wrap around children’s necks and injure or kill them. Are you going to call for the removal of drape cords? Every year children insert metal objects into electrical outlets and injure or kill them selves. Are you going to call for the removal of electrical outlets? At some point you have to let people be responsible for their own lives and their own mistakes. You don’t call for safety items because you foresee danger Will Robinson. We don’t rewrite zoning laws or building codes. We’re appraisers, we appraise homes. Get the job done and move on.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:27 AM

Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Most states have adopted a standard requirment that a pool be protected by a barrier. Walls and fences are one form of barrier. If I was uncertain if a screen enclosure was an adequate barrier or not, I would direct that question to the Code Compliance section of the local Building Department.

Closed Thread