Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Appraisal Review
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 09:42 AM

State: North Carolina
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Vanguard - I appreciate your concern and effort to keep me out of trouble, but I suggest that you read 82C.02 Subd 8 of the MN statutes
Sponsored Links

Old 04-25-2012, 12:42 PM

State: Vermont
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

1 & 3 are legit.
You'd have a tough time with accurate site dimensions in most of the area I work. Surveys are few and far between and parcel maps are just useless.

Biggest peeve here is the use of "R1" under specific zoning. It's the goto when an appraiser doesn't actually research anything. Occasionally that's actually the correct classification, but 99.9% of the time when I see "R1" under zoning, it's the first of many issues in the report.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:46 PM

State: Florida

What is your fee and turn time?
Old 04-25-2012, 12:55 PM

State: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish View Post
Market specific-nope, every form of lazy is out there in every region. The main data source for public record information in my market does not list the complete dimensions for the site but rather a W' x D' number even when the site is not rectangular that approximates the dimensions based on opposite side averaging. I don't even want to tell how many reviews and I have completed where the dimensions are listed as X' x D' when the actual lot is a pie shaped site with 5 individual dimensions. Plat maps are available online.

You guys that jump on this "evil AMC reviewer" for pointing out that a vast majority of the appraisers in our industry cannot even put two simple statements in a report are directly or indirectly defending the indefensible, depending on your comments. Idiot responses like the first few regurgitated dribble are great examples of why feed back in this industry from users of reports is limited, it falls on deaf ears or gleans responses like the above.
GFY appraisers, you are a shameful bunch of MORONS and thanks for cheapening my profession.
Redfish-

You are my "personal best" now. I haven't been called an idiot, shameful, and a moron all in one post before (or, at least if I have, I haven't read it). And, thanks for explaining that GFY means "gofckyrurself"; I thought it might mean "Good for You"!

Interestingly, I thought my posts more than not point out that reviewers (of all employment: AMC, independent, etc.) have valid points? Maybe you don't think that is the case. Or, maybe you infer that I have an issue with "AMC reviewers"? Not the case, and I'm sorry if that one hit close to home for you.

I'm glad to hear that the OP emphasized that these are not "failings" on his review assignments.... rather they are what he said; personal pet peeves.
Sounds like they may be yours as well? If that is your significant concern regarding the state of our industry, you are lucky.

I rather suspect (or hope) you have issues more significant than not reviewing a deed for a legal description ("see preliminary title report" must not work for you) or not putting in the lot dimensions on a form report when the lot is irregularly shaped. For what it is worth, rarely are metes & bounds used in the urban and suburban areas in the California markets, and the legal description of most properties in San Francisco are Block and Lot (and, many plat maps have a description of the tract/lot# in them if one knows how to read them).

I certainly hope the rest of your day goes better. Or, again, if the worst thing you face in your day is a report that doesn't have the lot dimensions typed in the form, consider yourself lucky!
Old 04-25-2012, 01:28 PM

State: New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis DeSaix View Post
Other than points #1 and #4, your pet peeves sound market-specific (or perhaps East Coast regional) to me.

This would make sense since you are working for a "smaller AMC", and I'm assuming a small AMC has mostly (or only) local coverage.
Hmmmmm........Wait till K Mc sees that..
Old 04-25-2012, 01:30 PM

State: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony V View Post
Hmmmmm........Wait till K Mc sees that..
Idiot and Moron have been used up, but I'm sure Kevin will come up with something original!
Old 04-25-2012, 02:41 PM

State: Minnesota
Professional Status: Retired Appraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnam View Post
Vanguard - I appreciate your concern and effort to keep me out of trouble, but I suggest that you read 82C.02 Subd 8 of the MN statutes
The big question is are you geographically competent enough to do reviews in any other state but your own?
Old 04-25-2012, 03:02 PM

State: New York

I feel like I'm back in the sandbox at 4 years old reading this s&lt. Next thread please....
Old 04-25-2012, 09:49 PM

State: New Mexico

Ok once again I must confess ignorance. You state the lot block etc is not a valid legal description. I take my legal description from the tax rolls. In the city they state lot number, block number, subdivision name, unit number. Why is this incorrect? It is a correct description which enables the property to be identified.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:30 PM

State: Pennsylvania

I always put in block and lot, lot number for the plan, and deed book volume and page. What am I missing when describing the property? Sure feel stupid if I've been wrong for 35 years.

Closed Thread