Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Other Forums > General Economic Discussions
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 10:09 PM

State: Arkansas
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser
Default America Revealed

If you have been missing PBS's "America Revealed" you've missed some great shows. I have watched all three episodes so far. The first explored the food delivery system, last week was on the transportation system, and this week it was on the Electrical grid and all the things that powered it - nukes, coal, gas, hydro, wind, and solar.

I got two surprises as host Yul Kwon went with Penn State's Dr. Terry Engelder to look at the Marcellus shale. Dr. Engelder is well known among shale geologists for his estimates of the shale gas resources of the Marcellus.

The second surprise came on the subject of shale gas wells. For students of my mineral classes, one slide I used in discussing the impact of close spaced drilling on the environment was a google earth view of Booneville, Arkansas (plug in that name and look at it yourself...) The shot the show gave was exactly the same area as I showed to students, just north of the small town. I guess great minds run in the same channel .

As a disclaimer however, those wells are not "shale gas wells". They are actually vertical drilled wells in the Atoka formation, a sandstone. They are close spaced because they were developed in multiple zones thus additional wells were drilled. The latest development in the Fayetteville Shale is to drill 4 to 6 wells from the same, howbeit somewhat larger, location (drilling "pad", if you will)

The photography, especially aerial and satellite, for this show is fabulous and it's really about the huge scale of things in this country.

Closed Thread