Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Appraisal Review
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 05:20 PM

State: North Carolina
Professional Status: IT Professional-Appraisal Related

Good point...I can think of all sorts of negatives that could tank a value. For that matter, I can think of some things that might send a value sky high!(remember inflation?) But why stick this language into a report? Aren't our clients smart enough to understand that real estate ownership comes with certain risks? We can't anticipate them all or protect our values and forecasts from them, or caveat our way out of them.
Sponsored Links

Old 05-03-2012, 06:08 PM

Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

I have been putting a blurb in my reports that all bets are off if the Mayans are right, but I guess its overkill if they really are.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:55 PM

State: Delaware

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgalleshaw View Post
Good point... Aren't our clients smart enough to understand that real estate ownership comes with certain risks?.....
Have you forgotten this is the era of moral hazard?
Sure, they're smart enough, but officially, when the dippity-doo hits the fan,
they are the victims of sleazy mortgage brokers and even sleazier appraisers.
(or was that sleazy appraisers and even sleazier mortgage brokers?, I mis-rememeber where is my Banker Talking Points folder??)

Old 05-04-2012, 01:51 AM

State: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Rex View Post
I have been putting a blurb in my reports that all bets are off if the Mayans are right, but I guess its overkill if they really are.
Nice one Rex!

I bit more clever than what I was thinking. Really though...what's the point? As of the EAD all "troubles" are accounted for. The only sticky spot is claiming a "stable" market...I sure wish there was an "unstable" checkbox...
Old 05-06-2012, 08:41 PM

Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgalleshaw View Post
Good point...I can think of all sorts of negatives that could tank a value. For that matter, I can think of some things that might send a value sky high!(remember inflation?) But why stick this language into a report? Aren't our clients smart enough to understand that real estate ownership comes with certain risks? We can't anticipate them all or protect our values and forecasts from them, or caveat our way out of them.
I say strike the limiting condition and add your quote above as an extraordinary assumption, or a normal assumption, depending on the client.

I jest, of course. I sometimes think, perhaps wrongly, these assumptions are a cover for someone not having done his/her due diligence. I know that's not always the case, but you cannot condition and assume your way out of the work of understanding the market, which is kind of what it sounds like even when it's not the case.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread