Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, USPAP
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 12:49 PM

State: Texas
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

What exactly is an accessory unit? I took the course but this was not explained. I have a dwelling with a separate finished out building with a bathroom (i.e. bedroom and bath). Would this be considered an accessory unit?
Sponsored Links

Old 12-31-2005, 01:25 PM

State: Florida

I would think so. As long as it does not generate income. Otherwise it would go on the new 2-4 format.

I just finished a report that had a guest house in the back, with full kitchen, bath, 2 bedrooms and living room. It was used by the owners of the property as just that, a GUEST HOUSE for their relatives who come from up north to visit in the winter. It does not produce any income, it is not rented and most of the time it is vacant. It was fully compliant with zoning and land use codes as a guest house.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:26 PM

State: New Mexico

"Grannie/Gramps", "In-Law", "Teen" quarters that are not rented out from what I understand. In other words, family occupied.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:42 PM

State: California

You have to be careful when slinging around these terms. In one of the counties I appraise in, guest unit, granny unit or in law unit, and accessory unit have different meanings and describe different types of improvementrs and uses.

For instance, a granny unit has a kitchen and a guest house doesn't. In some zoning districts you can have both, some you can have either/or and in other's neither is allowed.

Chris... if you can rent out a granny unit, why does it HAVE to go on the 2-4 form? Most of the time, these little units generate very little income. And the allowable use is mainly for a family member and the unit would have to be made not suitable for full time occupancy once that use ceased... technically.

Janice... I usually go with HUD in defining ADU's (Accessory Dwelling Units.)

They are commonly understood to be a separate additional living unit, including separate kitchen, sleeping and bathroom facilities, attached or detached from the primary residential unit, on a single=family lot. ADUs are usually subordinate in size, location and appearance to the primary unit and may or may not have a separate means of ingresss and egress.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:56 PM

State: North Carolina

Rented or not does not decide which form I would use.

What decides is what the HBU would be and how it would be best marketed for sale.

Had an Owner occupied duplex ,should I have done that on the URAR... of course not..

Renting out what would be accepted as a Guest house in the local Marketplace does not constitute the use of a 2-4 Form.

Just My Opinion .

BTW Fannie agrees
Old 12-31-2005, 02:02 PM

State: North Carolina

Quote:
Originally posted by Greg Boyd@Dec 31 2005, 02:42 PM

Chris... if you can rent out a granny unit, why does it HAVE to go on the 2-4 form? Most of the time, these little units generate very little income. And the allowable use is mainly for a family member and the unit would have to be made not suitable for full time occupancy once that use ceased... technically.

Ditto
Old 12-31-2005, 07:46 PM

Janice,

There was a previous thread on this topic at:

http://tinyurl.com/95669

It includes some interesting information including HUD's definition of an accessory unit.

I agree with Preston that you should look to highest and best use. The additional residence is either a rental unit or an accessory unit. With some exception, if it's not one it's the other.

BTW, I also agree with Preston that the current use of the additional residence is not really relevant.

Bob Anderson

Sponsored Links

Closed Thread