Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Manufactured Housing
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 09:35 AM

State: Texas
Professional Status: Banking/Mortgage Industry
Default HUD Data Plate/Compliance Certificate

I am trying to find a site where I can obtain a copy of the HUD Data Plate in Texas. I tried searching the TDCHA site and couldn't find anything there. Is there any place where a duplicate can be obtained? I just got an email from Joseph Minnich with Fannie Mae that said: "Our current guidelines require the HUD Data Plate be in or on the premises. We currently do not have an alternative process for obtaining the HUD Data Plate Information. Therefore, if the HUD Data Plate is missing the porperty is ineligible as security for a loan delivered to Fannie Mae." So, what I am trying to do is get as much information as possible together so I can send it to Fannie Mae and try to get them to change their policy. It just doesn't seem reasonable a person can't sell their home because they lost a an 8 X 10 piece of paper off the wall. Any help on this would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links

Old 02-15-2006, 10:31 AM

State: California
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

Wow! A fannie mae policy that if the data plate is missing the property is ineligible? The data labels on the exterior confirm construction to the HUD code.
Old 02-15-2006, 12:27 PM

I agree and I mentioned this to him. He said at this time that was their policy. I even mentioned to him that FHA wasn't that constringent and he asked me to provide him with as much information and back ground as I could and request a review of thier policy. That is why I am seeking assitance.
Old 02-15-2006, 12:37 PM

State: California

This is ridiculous and is going to cause a major problem. Data plates are often affixed to the inside of cabinetry that may get replaced during the life of the house. Most people don't understand the importance of this sticker and view it as the label on pillows and upholstery cushions.

There are a number of threads in the forum detailing how one can verify construction code and other data through IBTS. The data labels on the exterior will verify construction code and the serial number of the unit is engraved or stamped on the frame/chassis at the hitch end.

What is Fannie's problem? Or perhaps Joe Minnich doesn't really understand manufactured housing. Fannie Mae needs to clarify this immediately.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:01 PM

Part of where he is coming from is Fannie Mae Announcement 03-06, page 2, Property Eligibilty: "...Compliance with these standards will be evidenced by the presence of a HUD Data Plate that is affixed in a permanent manner ner the main electrical panel or in another readily accessible and visible location." There are a couple other places in this announcement where they refer to the HUD Data Plate being reviewed also. I don't think Joe is the problem and I think he is willing to work and try to resolve it if I can provide him the information so he can go forward with it to get the policy changed. I have checked the HUD Web Site for instructions on how to get another copy of the HUD Data Plate and can't find anything. I can find how to proceed if you don't have the HUD Label but not the Data Plate. I have also checked in the TDHCA web site and can't find any instructions. This can't be the 1st time this has come up. Surely, someone has run into this problem before.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:14 PM

State: Arizona

I will be contacting Joe in the next few days about this and let you know what I can find out.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:39 PM

Why couldn't you find it at TDCHA? Older home? You don't have the label numbers? Did you try owner name or a previous owner name?
Old 02-15-2006, 04:40 PM

Jo Ann, I was sure I could get a copy of the HUD Data Plate when I spoke with Joe but found out I was wrong. I think I was thinking of the HUD Label instead. I have talked to the Denver HOC and they don't have any suggestions either other than maybe getting a copy from the manufacaturer. However, they aren't very concerned since they only require the appaiser to state one wasn't available if it is missing. HUD doesn't have the potential problem that Fannie Mae does since HUD won't insure a loan if the manufactured home was ever moved. With Fannie Mae they have the potential of having a manufactured home moved from one zone to another where it may not be acceptable. So, I can understand their concern but it sure puts a buyer in a real bind if the HUD Data Plate gets lost or thrown away. If I can give any assistance on this let me know. So far I haven't been able to find any place to get a copy of the HUD Data Plate except for maybe the manufacturer and I don't know what that will be like or even if they will assist.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:47 PM

I have been able to get information from manufacturers over the phone when I had no other source. If you know the manufacturer, find their number on the internet and give them a call. I had one lady dicipher the serial number to tell me the date built.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:51 PM

John,

Did you try adding a zero to the front of the HUD label number when you searched? For instance TEX 776825 would be TEX0776825 on the TDHCF site.

I would have e-mailed you or pm'ed you, but you do not have that option activated.

Closed Thread