Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Urgent - Help Needed
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 10:50 PM

Default stick built or trailer

i'm looking at a home that was built around a trailer and then the trailer was tore down.The only thing left is the trailer beams everything inside is grade A.It was sold and appraised as stick built to the last buyer.Is it stick built?
Sponsored Links

Old 03-12-2006, 10:59 PM

State: Wisconsin
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

No and never will be or can be. It started it life as a duck and it will always be a duck. Can't make it into and Eagle.

----------------

Go to the HUG/MFG section of this site and read the post that have been made on the subject.

I would also suggest that you take a course on appraising MFG/HUD housing.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:53 AM

State: New Mexico
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

Quote:
left is the trailer beams
Looks like the answer to me.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:53 AM

State: Kansas

Like the others said, it is what it was.

I've seen these plenty of times in my neck of the woods. It's hard to tell the owner that they wasted all their money and should have just built a house instead of "remodeling" the "trailer".

I've always wondered what these people were thinking when they do things like this.

DaveT in NC
Old 03-13-2006, 09:13 AM

State: Texas
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

If it has a steel undercarriage, it's a manufactured home, period. I've seen some that were two-story homes, built around a single-wide. It's still a manufactured home.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:15 AM

State: California

Because it's been so highly modified and the structural integrity cannot be assured by any honest or sane person, it's probably not even a "manufactured house" anymore, for lending purposes anyway.

It's a contraption.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:26 AM

State: Florida
Professional Status: Retired Appraiser

Is there ANYTHING left of the walls and/or roof of the original mobile home?

I had a flipper wannabe a few years ago that bought a bunch of old 'mobile' homes and 'fixed' them up, then wanted to call them 'stick' built and sell them with FHA financing. He really didn't like me when I explained what he really had and that there was no way to get FHA financing on any of them.

BUT, IF the ONLY thing left is just the steal beams being used as floor support and there is NOTHING else left there of the mobile home, I MIGHT consider it conventionally built (with full disclosure of how it was built, of course!). I haven't found one like that yet, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. If they've left ANYTHING above those beams that came from a mobile home, then it's still a mobile home with conventionally built additions that needs an engineers report as to it's structural integrity.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:27 AM

State: Ohio
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Although this one seems like it may still be considered a trouse, I've heard these arguments before and for cryin' out loud, sometimes people need to use common sense.

It reminds me of a story I once heard about the military. It seems that constructing new buildings was not an option but adding on to or remodling existing ones was. Half of a pos building was razed and a half of a brand new structure was erected in its place. The next year, the old half of that building was razed and a rebuilt to match last years project. Thus, a brand new structure was built.

I think appraisers need to exercise some judgement in these areas. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and acts like a duck, the it's a duck. However, it may just be a short goose. I have seen these before that no one would ever know that it started life as a trailer. Brick siding, no steel undercarriage, no indications whatsoever of it ever being mobile. If I can find them, I will post a picture of a couple.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:47 AM

State: Arizona

I agree with Pamela and Greg. If nothing exists of the old mobile home except the steel beams then I would consider it a site built home with very detailed comments in my report. But if there is more than steel beams like the framing for the walls, same locations for the plumbing fixtures, etc, etc, etc then it is still a mobile home or a manufactured home and always will be as long as anything of that mobile/manufactured remains.

I completed an assignment several years ago for a similar situation. Everything except the steel undercarriage had been removed. Then all site built construction was completed where they put in a real permanent foundation for a larger floor area with the steel beams in the middle surrounded by new floor joists for the expanded floor area. Then built a house on top of that with room layout, plumbing, baths, kitchen, utility room in a different configuration. They started out with a 24' x 48' foot steel undercarriage and ended up with a 30' x 80' site built home. Biggest problem was in was in a subdivision for manufactured homes, only site built home in the entire subdivision. I used newer manufactured homes or reconstructed manufactured homes from the subdivison and comparable site built homes from the adjacent subdivision with a location adjustment as comparables. Very long expanded comment section that describe everything! Didn't get a single phone call back--even though my opinion of value was about 25% less than they hoped for.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:34 AM

State: Florida

I would withhold judgement until I found out if the remod was done via permit. If the local building officials signed off on it, then I would feel better about calling it stick built.

No permit/ not to code = run!
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread