Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Urgent - Help Needed
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 02:19 PM

State: Michigan
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Default Correction needed on my appraisal

Well maybe I have lost it, but I am tired of the garbage.

I received an order for a purchase and it was scheduled with the agreement that the buyer would meet me at the inspection and pay by money order or cash. Well he did not show and claimed he did not understand. So I just let the mortgage company know that he had not paid and after a week he finally sends the $$$. He claims he sent the money several days before I get it. Well ofcourse by the time I get the money the mortgage company says they need the appraisal that day to close, so I complete the apprasial and send it to them with a password. When I get his payment I call and give the password. Yes I go out of my way to make it all good. I completed the report and received a request to make changes to the report which were minimal (this is a few days later). I guess they did not close and I worked my a-- off trying to help them. I then recieved another request to make a change on square footage. The assessor square footage was about 60 less than my measurement. I used the assessor square footage since is was less to be on the safe side. My sketch represented my measurements and thus two square footages were reported. Before I could get to this file the Mortgage Company had called my office over 5 times and emailed me another 2 or 3 times. I mean different people at the company "PRIORITY FINANCIAL in Southfield, MI." I told them I would take care of it asap, but they just keep bugging the hell out of me. to the point where I put their changes at the bottom of the stack of changes. Well now they are calling, calling, and have emailled like crazy. It has affected my business line and slowed me with work, but the principle of this matter has been to IMPORTANT TO JUST LET LIE this is why I refuse to make this correction as long as they continue to harass me. I have supposedly ruined a deal for this purchase and I am getting threats from the mortgage company. My question is, "DO I HAVE A LEG TO STAND ON." I am so ****ed that I know this writing is a mess, but please bear with it and tell me how I can make a stand and not have to fall. I feel I should be able to charge this mortgage company for harassment.

Ok it seems I did not state this clearly. I HAVE NO PROBLEM MAKING THE CORRECTION. I did not purposely report two different square footages. My sketch when multiplied out is 50 sq feet more. It is my exact measurements. I WILL MAKE THIS CORRECTION. I have no problem doing so. In fact I feel I must. My concern is this, THIS LENDER HAS CALLED, CALLED AND CALLED AND EMAILED AND EMAILED. THIS WAS ALL DONE WITHIN A 24 HOUR PERIOD. THE DAY I FOUND OUT ABOUT THE ERROR. I WAS ACTUALLY INSPECTING ANOTHER PROPERTY AND INFORMED THE LO THAT THEIR IS A 24 HOUR TURN TIME ON THIS WHICH I THOUGHT WAS REASONABLE. IN THE NEXT 24 HOURS THIS COMPANY WAS SUCH A PEST THAT I HAD TO TURN OFF MY CELL PHONE (MAYBE MISS BUSINESS) AND NOT EVEN READ NUMBEROUS EMAILS (WASTING MY TIME). This is why I put their correction at the bottom of my appraisal orders. AM I OUT OF LINE DOING THIS? THAT IS MY QUESTION TO YOU.

Last edited by hal : 03-17-2006 at 06:17 PM.
Sponsored Links

Old 03-17-2006, 02:28 PM

State: New Mexico

Quote:
I then recieved another request to make a change on square footage. The assessor square footage was about 60 less than my measurement. I used the assessor square footage since is was less to be on the safe side. My sketch represented my measurements and thus two square footages were reported.
How can you report two different square footage findings? Would not also then have a potential for two different opinions of value? If you measured it, calculated the size and included it in the report, then why would you use the work/word of someone else that you don't even know?

To answer your question, I don't see how, based upon my questions back to you. Caller ID works wonders so I stopped taking the calls from one particular PIA lender demanding stuff that had absolutely nothing to do with the appraisal. I then hit reply on the emails with a Subject line of: DENIED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-17-2006, 02:35 PM

State: Mississippi

hal, i think it is pretty safe to say that until you do what they want, they probably won't stop...... NEXT, hal, please explain again, your reason for not using your square footage that i PRESUME you determined by measuring the house. and lastly, there is a saying out there, which is don't let the underwriters problem become your own... however, didn't you kind of shoot yourself in the foot to begin with.

signed,
don't kill the messenger
Old 03-17-2006, 03:00 PM

State: Florida

A request for consistency in an appraisal report is a resonable request................IMO, your refusal to address it is unreasonable and unprofessional
Old 03-17-2006, 03:18 PM

State: Florida

I am sure all appraiser's have encountered sf differences between the measured dimensions of a dwelling and those stated in public records. I always rely on my measured dimensions and state so if their are significant differences. With my county's property appraiser's web site having a sketch avaliable on existing dwellings typically within a year of completion, reviewing the sketch for differences will typically address the differences. Measurements listed in ft versus 0.10 ft, inaccurate sketches, etc are not uncommon.

A comment my or may not be required for the differences between measured dimensions versus public records data, however, measured dimensions and the resulting sf typically is utilized by myself and my peers.

Correct your report to the measured sf, lose the attitude and call your client and advise them correction(s) will be sent shortly.

Last edited by Michael Tipton : 03-17-2006 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-17-2006, 03:28 PM

State: Utah
Talking Standing your ground

Hal,

I would suggest you ignore the previous advice and continue to play hardball with the lender. The lender can then send your appraisal to the good reviewer, who will probably say something about a misleading report having two different reported square footage measurements. He/she will then perform due diligence to find any other possible errors or omission that may have slipped into the report. Then if you are lucky, the report will make its way to your state board who will then clarify your professional status. You can call the phone company and have them block the lender's number from your phone, because I doubt they will be calling you for future business. You can also enter their e-mail address into your block address directory.

Chris
(reviewer, who needs the work)
Old 03-17-2006, 03:38 PM

Default forgive me hal......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harrison
Hal,

I would suggest you ignore the previous advice and continue to play hardball with the lender. The lender can then send your appraisal to the good reviewer, who will probably say something about a misleading report having two different reported square footage measurements. He/she will then perform due diligence to find any other possible errors or omission that may have slipped into the report. Then if you are lucky, the report will make its way to your state board who will then clarify your professional status. You can call the phone company and have them block the lender's number from your phone, because I doubt they will be calling you for future business. You can also enter their e-mail address into your block address directory.

Chris
(reviewer, who needs the work)
Chris,
Old 03-17-2006, 06:16 PM

State: Michigan
Default Ooops Let Me Clarify

Ok it seems I did not state this clearly. I HAVE NO PROBLEM MAKING THE CORRECTION. I did not purposely report two different square footages. My sketch when multiplied out is 50 sq feet more. It is my exact measurements. I WILL MAKE THIS CORRECTION. I have no problem doing so. In fact I feel I must. My concern is this, THIS LENDER HAS CALLED, CALLED AND CALLED AND EMAILED AND EMAILED. THIS WAS ALL DONE WITHIN A 24 HOUR PERIOD. THE DAY I FOUND OUT ABOUT THE ERROR. I WAS ACTUALLY INSPECTING ANOTHER PROPERTY AND INFORMED THE LO THAT THEIR IS A 24 HOUR TURN TIME ON THIS WHICH I THOUGHT WAS REASONABLE. IN THE NEXT 24 HOURS THIS COMPANY WAS SUCH A PEST THAT I HAD TO TURN OFF MY CELL PHONE (MAYBE MISS BUSINESS) AND NOT EVEN READ NUMBEROUS EMAILS (WASTING MY TIME). This is why I put their correction at the bottom of my appraisal orders. AM I OUT OF LINE DOING THIS? THAT IS MY QUESTION TO YOU.
Old 03-17-2006, 06:26 PM

'THIS LENDER HAS CALLED, CALLED AND CALLED AND EMAILED AND EMAILED. THIS WAS ALL DONE WITHIN A 24 HOUR PERIOD. THE DAY I FOUND OUT ABOUT THE ERROR. I WAS ACTUALLY INSPECTING ANOTHER PROPERTY AND INFORMED THE LO THAT THEIR IS A 24 HOUR TURN TIME ON THIS WHICH I THOUGHT WAS REASONABLE. IN THE NEXT 24 HOURS THIS COMPANY WAS SUCH A PEST THAT I HAD TO TURN OFF MY CELL PHONE (MAYBE MISS BUSINESS) AND NOT EVEN READ NUMBEROUS EMAILS (WASTING MY TIME). '
hal, note to self time...
Old 03-17-2006, 06:29 PM

State: North Carolina

I think the concensus here would be that if you measured the house and for some reason reported the GLA somewhere in the report as the stated Assessors GLA which was different, then any one reading the report has reason to be highly disturbed. Why on God's green earth would any appraiser report anything other than the actual GLA from his or her own measurements? You get no sympathy here.

Closed Thread