Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > State Forums > Individual States > New York
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 09:51 AM

State: New York
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser
Default Comps Inc....GeoData....???

Now that Suffolk County has pulled the deeds offline, I'm going to have to subscribe to an additional data service. We have Suffolk Profiles and Research for the east end, but I need a verification source for the up-island reviews.

I'm fairly familiar with Comps Inc. How's GeoData? I tried out a demo a few years ago, and it seemed resource intensive; it really worked slow on my computer.

Does anyone have a recommendation of which to use, or are their other sources?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links

Old 03-24-2006, 10:20 AM

Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Post Geo Data Inc. verses Comps Inc.

I have used both services. They are very similar in data and presentation, flood maps, census tracts. In Nassau, Queens, Brooklyn both are fantastic because you get to see true buyer/seller (corporations), building sketch and pictures (not always up to date though). In Suffolk after Riverhead. They are fair to good and merely compliment Suff Prfile. I have heard that Geo Data was formed by a former partner in Comps Inc.. Comps Inc. is more money, Geo Data is open to negotiation on there fees and services, but they are virtually the same product. If you can bring guys in with you Geo will cut rates further per county
Old 03-24-2006, 10:22 AM

Dave,

I had used Comps Inc in the past...I now use geoData...I feel that Geo Data is better....the mapping program is much more accurate, the last update for Suffolk is 3/9/2006....The updates are done automatically when you open the program....The most annoying thing about it is it seems that all new construction is giving the Street # as 1.......The North Haven sheets I sent you were from GeoData....Ckeck out the info that I sent against Comps Inc that you have........In that area...it would be a good indicator..Of course noting beats Southampton GIS....

Tony
Old 03-24-2006, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Vosilla
Dave,

Of course noting beats Southampton GIS....

Tony
You can bet I have a subscription to that...Some people don't realize it, but they also have copies of applications, permits, CO's, surveys, and other documentation (for areas outside the villages) in the documents section. Those documents are extremely helpful when the assessor's info isn't updated, and they are currently way behind, especially on new homes.

Thanks for the info guys...I'm leaning towards GeoData, mainly because my dad already has Comps Inc.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:08 PM

Dave...if/when you go to do it let others on this forum know...Glenn is right about getting a better deal if you have a couple of appraisers interested.....Be sure to talk to Eric...if you what you can mention my name...however thier goes the discount....

Tony
Old 03-24-2006, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Vosilla
Dave...if/when you go to do it let others on this forum know...Glenn is right about getting a better deal if you have a couple of appraisers interested.....Be sure to talk to Eric...if you what you can mention my name...however thier goes the discount....

Tony
I checked out their website and didn't see any prices. Do they charge somewhere around the usual $600/year for a data service...without your name mention, of course!
Old 03-24-2006, 02:34 PM

seems to be the going rate...........I did get a bit of a deal with them as I am affiliated with several Companies that also have them..
Old 03-24-2006, 08:01 PM

Lightbulb Geo

David,
Prices (GEO) depend more on the county and how many counties you wish to purchase. GEO Website is now in beta testing. Phone # 516-663-0721

P.S.
Mr Vosilla is that a new and improved avatar I see
Old 03-24-2006, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Redo
David,
Prices (GEO) depend more on the county and how many counties you wish to purchase. GEO Website is now in beta testing. Phone # 516-663-0721
Thanks Glenn...I just need Suffolk.

Quote:
P.S.
Mr Vosilla is that a new and improved avatar I see
Tony told me that he was going to put that avatar up when he bowled a perfect game!
Old 03-24-2006, 08:09 PM

i did not bowl a perfect game last nite.....I do have 2 to my credit and 2 299's......I put the avatar up (actually it is an old one at my kids insistence........

Closed Thread