Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Urgent - Help Needed
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 02:19 PM

State: Ohio
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Default Short Sale Appraisal

Not real urgent, but I do want help.

I accepted an order for a URAR and just found out it is for a short sale.

Have any of you done an appraisal for short sale before? I want to make sure I have all my bases covered.

I plan to tweak my intended use comment and disclose what I know. I don't know the sale price yet nor do I have a contract. Heck it does not even have an estimated value. I am going to appraise it to traditional market definition since I did not recieve directions otherwise.

Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links

Old 04-25-2006, 03:55 PM

State: California
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Tony-

Who is your client?

If it is for the existing lender (or lien-holders), then it would make sense that they want a current market value to evaluate the sale offer.
If it is for the buyer, then it is a standard purchase appraisal. The fact that the sellers are "upside down" wouldn't have an affect on market value.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:20 PM

Denis

The Client is an AMC/service company I have never worked with before. and with REO in their name. that is why I asked if they needed an REO appraisal. Their response was no, just a 1004. No other instructions or supplemental comments given on the order or by phone. It is also not a COD.

I am leaning towards the lender wanting to evaluate the sale offer and plan to ask the owner a few questions, and then the lender, but I wanted to run it by you guy's and see if there was something I was missing or should look out for or inquire specifically about.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:10 AM

State: North Dakota
Professional Status: Real Estate Agent or Broker

I receive 3-4 short sale requests a year. My client has always been the lender and I am not furnished a sales contract, nor is it necessary or relevant. Sometimes they will include the mortgage payoff amount in the request, sometimes not. Sometimes the homeowner or the buyer will mention a sales price, but I ignore it. The properties are usually in below average condition, but not a complete wreck. Occasionally I get value pressure from the buyer wanting the value DOWN because it is a short sale, i.e. the lender is losing money. I include the REO addendum for one client because they require it; however, it really isnít necessary IMO.. The lender knows theyíre losing money on a short sale; they merely want to make sure theyíre not losing any more then they should. Be careful of the Sheetzers on these. Iíve done about 5 of these where the same seminar guy was buying them. The assignments are very similar to FHA loss mitigation.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:03 AM

State: California

Tony-

I'd go with Bucks' advice.
(He's got a better crystal ball than I do!)
Old 04-26-2006, 11:18 AM

Denis my comments are based on my experience and limited knowledge. There may be a considerable distance between my way and the proper way.

Iím hoping Oregon Doug will post on this, if my memory is correct he is very experienced with short sale assignments.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:22 PM

State: New Jersey
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

Short sales reflect the fact that the market value of the property is less than the mortgage balance. The market value is all that we should be concerned with.

Of course the reports will be closely read (as opposed to many mortgage lending reports) and you may want to provide a little more detail in your comments. When the bubble breaks we can expect lots of these assignments.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:34 PM

State: Georgia

Bucks,
I've never heard of a "short sale" appraisal before. Is this one of those Sheet's head flippers financing a purchase for repair and re-sell?
Do they usually request a repair estimate like in typical REO assignments? Or are you just simply doing an "As Is" with market adjustments for the "ugly factor"?
Old 04-26-2006, 01:18 PM

Mell from what I recall most assignments Iíve done have been ďas isĒ. Based on the short sales Iíve seen, in most instances the lender loses less than going the foreclosure route. They save the RE commission, not to mention the element of the unknown when the house is vacant for an extended period, repairs, vandalism, field service fees, etc.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:37 PM

I just did a short sale with a Realtor (perfect target for Bobby--she calls me honey--trust me, I am not the 'honey' type; has a Caddy; belongs to the 'Club' and her husband is a plant manager) as a buyer.

My clients have never requested an REO addendum and just want fair market--usually 30 to 60 days instead of the standard 90 to 120 days. The biggest problem I always have is that there are no utilities--it is difficult to predict what will and won't work; house is winterized -- but who knows if it was done correctly or when it was done.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread