Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Urgent - Help Needed
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 03:26 PM

State: Ohio
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Default NO heat source

I appraised a 1 story home and the owner took out the baseboard heat in both bedrooms. The owner asked what would qualify has a heat source. I need to know if a vent which would be placed in-between the living room and the bedroom so that the heat would flow from the living room into the bedroom. But its just a vent. There would be no ducts or forced air just the heat from the room with a heat source going into the bedroom through the vent. I need to know if this ok to add the bedrooms into the total sq.ft. of the home after the owner would have this complete. Thanks, Jon
Sponsored Links

Old 09-20-2006, 03:42 PM

State: Michigan
Professional Status: Banking/Mortgage Industry

Jon - can I ask where you are located? Not sure how much of a difference it would make but might if you are in a cold or mild climate.

And welcome to the forum
Old 09-20-2006, 03:51 PM

State: Ohio

Joanne, I am located in Cincinnati, Ohio. Thanks, Jon
Old 09-20-2006, 04:31 PM

State: North Carolina

I would be nervous about this one. Just keep in mind what the bank would have to do to make the property marketable in case they have to take the property over. I would consider making the homeowner put in baseboards, or possibly making an across the board adjustment to all my sales for the cost to put in some type of heating. Either way I would explain the heck out of what I was doing and why.

What type of heat is in the main house? If it is baseboard then I wouldn't think that a simple vent would allow much heat to pass through. There would definitely be some obsolescence that would need to be accounted for.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:16 PM

State: Mississippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Archiable
I appraised a 1 story home and the owner took out the baseboard heat in both bedrooms. The owner asked what would qualify has a heat source. I need to know if a vent which would be placed in-between the living room and the bedroom so that the heat would flow from the living room into the bedroom. But its just a vent. There would be no ducts or forced air just the heat from the room with a heat source going into the bedroom through the vent. I need to know if this ok to add the bedrooms into the total sq.ft. of the home after the owner would have this complete. Thanks, Jon
Jon, correct me if i am wrong, but the 'no heat source' is a tad misleading, there's heat in the house, just not in 2 of the bedrooms, 'by homeowner choice', as in if it got taken out, it could for all practical purposes be put back in place, if this is for a refinance, i would alert lender, and ask to use cost to cure and estimate cost to put baseboard heat back in...

only other suggestion, would be a direct vented gas heaters installed, assuming it's gas forced warm air heat available... or install electric wall heaters, with a cost to cure as well...

my own contribution from hot and humid missup...
Old 09-20-2006, 06:25 PM

State: California

Quote:
There are two considerations here. 1) Does the subject property conform to the neighborhood (heating and cooling)? 2) The heating of the home has to make the home livable year round, including bedrooms. How livable are the bedrooms in the winter?

You might be asked to produce a comparable home with this condition to show market acceptance.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:33 PM

State: New Mexico

The test is whether the rooms can be maintained at a minimum of 50 degrees F for FHA. It seems like a reasonable standard. For the vent deal to work you will need someone more qualified than I to make the calculations. I vote no way Jose on this one, but it is not up to me.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:44 PM

State: New Mexico

Quote:
Jon, welcome to the forum. Now, I'm not going to answer your question. but I'm going to try and get you to figure it out.

First, you don't say what is the main heating source! Is the rest of the residence heated by baseboard? If that's case, then why do you suppose they had baseboards in the bedrooms in the first place?

Second, is this typical of the residences in that market?

Third, how would the market view it? Would they want to buy this place at full price or would they want the baseboards installed or a tremendous discount for "as is".

Fourth, have you checked with other apprasiers (maybe your mentor if you're an apprentice) to see if there is even any data that could support what you're proposing?

And Fifth: Would you want to put your child or baby in that room during winter with no heat?

Good luck with it. I know what I'd do.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:32 PM

State: Mississippi

in all fairness, i notice no one has asked the purpose of the appraisal, and i assumed, because the word 'owner' was in the intitial post, that it's a refi, but i could be wrong in assuming.... which then leads to this, if this is a sale, and the owner point blank asked you that question, who the heck has coached owner into the existence of such knowledge?...

my point, is and was this, what does the client want, as far as to make this problem go away, as in, what are your options given to you by your client?

i can see everybody else's situation with a much clearer perspective, it's just my own that puts the log into my eye...
Old 09-20-2006, 08:13 PM

State: Other Non-US

Quote:
Mr. Archiable,

This is a no brainer... Appraisal is "Subject To" a market acceptable "permanent" heat source in all rooms. ... This means room temperature has to be able to be held to a minimum of 54 degrees F ... Baseboard heat, electric wall fan, forced air vent..... anything they want as long as it is thermostatically controlled.

The issue is areas around those BR walls could have water pipes.... we do not want frozen water pipes due to an inadequately heated house. Personal space heaters do not cut it. ... By the way, you can't just subtract the bedrooms out of the GLA .. that would be appraising a hypothetical house that doesn't exist now wouldn't it?

Barry Dayton
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread