Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Technical - Hardware/Software > a la mode (WinTotal)
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 10:13 PM

State: Virginia
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser
Question Att. Licensed Appraisers and Mentors

Anyone concerned with trainees using your signature without your authorization? And if so, how do we keep this from happening? As we know how easy it is to upload a signature from Wintotal. Any feedbacks ? Thanks in advance. BN

Last edited by adia9 : 10-03-2006 at 10:59 PM.
Sponsored Links

Old 10-04-2006, 05:17 AM

State: Michigan

If there was any concern, they would not be trainees any longer. And the signature would be changed.

And if there is ever any question of the author of a report, the secret identification that is in each of my reports would prove if the reports were mine or not.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:02 PM

State: North Carolina
Professional Status: Appraiser Trainee

I would ADVISE you to call Wintotal and ask them. They have a lot of features and some security settings which might be set and they are very very knowledgable.

If you are using a NETWORK licensed model, they will show you how to secure it. If you are using a single desktop, then make sure you create a seperate user for a trainee and DO NOT let them know your password.

Just call Wintotal and ask.....
Old 10-05-2006, 07:50 AM

State: Virginia

Thank you for your response and feedback. I have called Wintotal and they told me that there is nothing that they can do if a trainee forges your signature and uploads it on their program.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:50 AM

State: Oklahoma
Professional Status: Appraiser Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda Nguyen
Thank you for your response and feedback. I have called Wintotal and they told me that there is nothing that they can do if a trainee forges your signature and uploads it on their program.
No, of course they can't. My question is why one would keep a trainee on that causes this kind of suspicion.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:10 AM

State: North Carolina
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Post Suspicion should always be there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annemieke Roell
No, of course they can't. My question is why one would keep a trainee on that causes this kind of suspicion.
I hate to say it, but the suspicion needs to be there whether there is any evidence to support it or not. Forgery or other fraud that causes an appraiser trouble will rarely come from someone you didn't trust.

The way to protect your signature is not use the lame "signature" provisions found in appraisal software packages. A number of more secure options exist.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:27 PM

State: New Jersey

My understanding is that if you let alamode create the signature file (an S# file) it could not be copied, but if you followed the instructions they give you for creating the file yourself (a JPEG e.g ) it can be snatched and used by someone else. True?
Old 10-10-2006, 04:20 PM

State: California

Any signature can be forged no matter how you secure it. All is needed is a copy of one's signature and the rest is easy.

I personaly think one of the best ways to prevent appraiser identity theft is to verify the authenticity of a completed report with the appraiser who has signed it. I have implemented something similar in my website but it can be implemented in state or federal scale easily.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:50 PM

State: Georgia
Lightbulb Appraiser verification

I've already been getting appraisal verification from lenders via e-mail.
They ask you to respond if any discrepancies exist in the information they send. So far, I never had to respond, but wish ALL lenders would do the verifiction via email at the least.

This process also utilized the appraiser's email address on the report and it would be one more hurdle for the fraudsters to jump through to replicate the email address. (they would have to hire a geek)
Old 10-10-2006, 04:53 PM

State: Michigan

I think, that if you had a trainee use another signature, then you will have another profile to manage. Extra profile, extra signature.

As for a jpeg or what not, you can install on their machines a windows utility that prevents any changes from taking place on their machines, or not give them access to the folder that has the .exe file for adobe.

It's all about good computer management. You should trust, but at the same time, be able to verify.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread