Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Technical - Hardware/Software > a la mode (WinTotal)
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 02:59 PM

State: Vermont
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Default Application SF_Calc Error message

Twice now I have received the following error message in Athena. "The win 16 subsystem has insufficient resources to continue running. Click OK, Close your applications and restart your machine". I have never had this before. this is a newer Dell computer with plenty of speed and memory. Anyone know what this is about?
Sponsored Links

Old 10-06-2006, 03:14 PM

State: North Carolina

Sounds like the computer is telling you to take the rest of the day off. Come to think of it, my computer seems to be telling me the same thing!!

Have a good weekend!!
Old 10-07-2006, 01:20 PM

State: Georgia
Default Memory leak

Sounds like your PC is complaining about lack of memory resources.
If it does not correct itself after a reboot (problem is recurring) then it could mean you have a misbehavin' application that wants to hog your PC memory no matter how much you got.
An examination of running applications when the error pops would be revealing. The utility to use is called the "task manager" which shows you all the memory used by apps and running processes.

Usually, Athena is not a memory hog; but certain off-retail or shareware products could cause this also. Install any new software recently?

Recently, after installing the McAfee AV suite I was amazed at how much memory it required- like triple that usually runs AV software. Luckily I have a gig of RAM and it is not a problem, but if you have anything less, while using Windoz XP, you are already low in memory.

Old 10-09-2006, 07:37 AM

State: Vermont

I have over a gig of ram. When I open the task manager and look at the process there are so many things apparently running. this is after I close all applications. Not sure what they are. The problem occured when I tried to open my old software (SFREP). That program seems to require a lot of memory.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:27 PM

State: Arizona
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser
Default Sfrep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Goodfellow
I have over a gig of ram. When I open the task manager and look at the process there are so many things apparently running. this is after I close all applications. Not sure what they are. The problem occured when I tried to open my old software (SFREP). That program seems to require a lot of memory.
16-bit programs will not properly report their true memory usage in Win2000-WinXP, etc. So it is difficult to tell if that is the problem. I do know that Athena and Aurora use an INCREDIBLE amount of memory, more so than you would think necessary for a forms program. Hence why I don't use them even though I paid for them. (I especially don't like that my computer has to make an out-bound coneection everytime I want to open a report on my computer...what's that about? It's nobody's business what appraisal files I open on my computer!)

But, I do know some of the viri and spyware out there often cause problems/ messages like this. You might want to do a full system scan. If you have Norton and it is not at least v10, go get one of the free batch cleaners from Grissoft (AVG), like vcleaner, and use this first. Every computer here I have with Norton or McAfee seem to be about as protected as not having any anti-virus at all...just pop-up blockers. But AVG seems VERY good.

Try that and see if that clears this.

JD
Old 10-09-2006, 10:45 PM

State: Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microsoft Windows Help
Most programs run properly on Windows XP. The exceptions are some older games and other programs that were written specifically for an earlier version of Windows. To run your program on Windows XP, try the following:

Right-click the program icon on your desktop or the shortcut on the Start menu for the program you want to run, and then click Properties.
Click the Compatibility tab, and change the compatibility settings for your program.
You can set the compatibility mode as far back as Win95

Sponsored Links

Closed Thread