Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Technical - Hardware/Software > a la mode (WinTotal)
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 05:40 PM

State: Kansas
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Default Alamode's new R&D?

I'm wondering what the employment is with R&D. Salaried position. Don't think you have to relocate or anything but judging from the description you'd have to get a tie (haha, never!).

I wonder if they'd hire on the basis business is really slow and I'm a tech freak.

I'm sure you guys all got this email but if you haven't here is an excerpt:

2. Now, moving on to our “a la mode R&D Labs” initiative: It’s our intention to hire some of you as our in-house Research Fellows, working directly with our developers and managers on cutting edge ideas and products.

Don’t confuse this with beta testing or anything like that. Beta testers help us test pre-release versions of production software before it gets released to the general public. But in the R&D Labs, we’ll be working on truly revolutionary products and ideas, not just evolutionary improvements, and we want practicing appraisers with a penchant for grand ideas and a thirst for cool technology to be a direct part of the company’s efforts. The products we’ll showcase in the R&D Labs will be available for download, but they’ll be free and for the purpose of generating feedback and ideas as the general public sees them – sort of like seeing concept cars at an auto show, except you get to actually drive them too.

The Labs will allow us to work on leading edge stuff to satisfy the techo-driven appraisers (and to help position the overall industry to stave off future threats), without taking our people off of the day-to-day tasks geared at satisfying your daily formfilling and production needs. (We already run many projects in parallel with large teams of developers on separate products, but this will make the R&D part even more independent.)

There are many new areas of opportunity – from wireless connectivity to voice control to data and signature security to field data gathering using Ultra-Mobile PCs – and the Lab will ensure that cool new ideas see the light of day and garner your input as well, long before they mature into production-level tools. Like any laboratory, we’re sure some ideas will never get to the production stage at all. But they’ll stimulate other ideas which will. That’s always been our approach – cutting edge ideas years ahead of our competitors – but now we’re just formalizing it and involving you more in the early idea-generation stages.

So, if you consider yourself a visionary when it comes to appraising and technology, and you’d like to be regularly published in the trade press and speaking about coming technologies, come talk to us. It’s a salaried research position, but we want you to still work as an appraiser every week – so that a clear focus on practicality is always present even in far-flung ideas. Some travel is involved, as you’ll be at company-sponsored appraiser gatherings in various cities in order to maintain direct contact with the widest variety of users and ideas as possible. If you’re interested, send your resume´, cover letter, and ideas of how you’d approach the position, directly to us at labs@alamode.com.

We’ll be rolling out an a la mode R&D Labs website as the project spools up, where you can learn more, download and play with early research versions, and keep up to date on our advanced projects. We’ll also be alternating an R&D Labs newsletter with our current general newsletter, so you get a mix of both subjects. Keep your eyes and ears open for both, and if you want to come onboard as a Research Fellow, don’t forget to tell us.
Sponsored Links

Old 10-12-2006, 05:54 PM

State: Florida
Professional Status: IT Professional-Appraisal Related

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Totman
I'm wondering what the employment is with R&D. Salaried position. Don't think you have to relocate or anything but judging from the description you'd have to get a tie (haha, never!).

I wonder if they'd hire on the basis business is really slow and I'm a tech freak.

No ties required -- and no relocation. Hell, I was at work today in shorts and a t-shirt. I wear a suit when I have to or just want to, but even at the HQ, dress is casual.

We want crazy inventive people. They don't usually wear ties. ;-)

Dave Biggers
Chairman
a la mode, inc.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:00 PM

State: Virginia
Talking A Dream of a job

Dave,

Sounds like a dream of a job for some really innovative out of the box thinkers. Ah! If I were 20 years younger. And, I am not a techno geek. I have learned what I know from the very firts computer in my office in May, 1992 until today. Have only taken 1 Alamode seminar in 2002.

I would not be a pretty sight in shorts and T shirt Dave.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbiggers
No ties required -- and no relocation. Hell, I was at work today in shorts and a t-shirt. I wear a suit when I have to or just want to, but even at the HQ, dress is casual.

We want crazy inventive people. They don't usually wear ties. ;-)

Dave Biggers
Chairman
a la mode, inc.
1. Chairman of Alamode here! Zoinks!
2. Shorts and a T-shirt? Aren't you guys in Oklahoma? Here in SE KS it was frigid today!
Old 10-13-2006, 07:03 AM

State: Florida
Professional Status: IT Professional-Appraisal Related

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Totman
1. Chairman of Alamode here! Zoinks!
2. Shorts and a T-shirt? Aren't you guys in Oklahoma? Here in SE KS it was frigid today!
It actually turned out nice -- crisp in the morning (thin jacket), but warmed up with clear sun. By noon it was beautiful, though a little windy. But then, I did live in Utah snow for several years... so maybe my perspective is whacked.

It's definitely changed from a few weeks back, however. Sort of like WinTOTAL... very different from a short while ago. ;-)

Dave Biggers
Chairman
a la mode, inc.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:03 AM

State: New Mexico

Hmm my fellings are hurt. I didn't see this e-mail. It may have something to do with some of my calls to tech support.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:23 AM

State: Georgia
Default Wacky idea

I am envisioning a future where appraisers controlling miniature flying robotic bugs with camera eyes that download the geocoded information from wintotal software, programmed to use GPS to photograph subj/comps and send data back via wireless transmissions and later go sting the lazy clients in the payables department as a reminder to send the fee.
Drone controller not included. Additional fees may apply ... not responsible for acts of malice, terrorism etc.

Old 10-13-2006, 02:25 PM

I tossed and turned till around 4am last night thinking of new ideas....lol. I may send an app in even though I stink at public speaking and deathly afraid of airplanes and hate travel...haha. However I love new tech and been in the appraisal business since I was in high school (12 years now) so its really something of interest to me.

Last edited by Pittsburg_22_m : 10-13-2006 at 02:31 PM.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:13 PM

State: Colorado

Is Alamode an Apex working on the same projects? I can see the real benefits of such wireless applications. I just had a recent case where I was wondering about such applications when I was out in the field.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:45 PM

I sent a resume!

And I had a TV interview earlier (totally unrelated to this thread but I like to blab about it....lol) but it was long and kinda fun.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread