Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Technical - Hardware/Software > a la mode (WinTotal)
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 05:17 PM

State: Florida
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Default Santa is on the way...

It's getting to be that time of season...and my "two-every two" is also coming due with my Verizon cell phone. Does anyone have an opinion on which is the most efficient smart phone that I can utilize/link with my X-Site? Pre-Xsite, I always like the Blackberry for the ruggedness (sp?) but it did not synch with my MS Outlook for my calendar which is now very important to me. What about the Motorola Q? Samsung? If Santa is bringing one...I'd like it to be one I can actually use. Thanks in advance for any comments.
Sponsored Links

Old 12-03-2006, 07:51 PM

State: Arizona
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

My wife just bought an Audio VOX 7000 series (ruggedized exterior, WM5, camera, and 240 x 320 display, so don't listen to people who say Pocket PC isn't worth it because the 240 x 240 display is all you can get) through Verizon. I have a Samsung through Verizon which came with two batteries: one standard, and one extended life that gives me enough power to use it for over a week between charges). The Pocket Internet Explorer is adequate for accessing real internet sites and handles framed site better than a lot of the 240 x 240 display devices for some reason (probably has to do with scaling the fonts and scroll bar sizes).

One of the REALLY nice features of her phone, though, was that it was REALLY easy to use her phone as an "accesspoint" for our laptops to get onto the Internet when we were in some small schmuck town one night that didn't have a local dial-up number. My Samsung also can do this, but it was a real pain in the but getting it setup the first time: probably took 30 minutes.

I like the keyboard on her Audio VOX better: it slides out sideways while my Samsung slides out from the bottom. But, my Samsung has infinitely more features OTHER than the camera, such as full speech recognition (hers, you have to train the voice) and some of her buttons won't seem to "deprogram" since we like to remove the Recording feature from hitting that button accidentally. It's kind of dumb the make the one button your fingers always seem to touch to grab the phone be the default button to start the Recorder.

Overall, though, both phones are very good. Her battery lasted through 7 inspection reports using my program, 118 minutes worth of talk time, and almost four days inbetween of standby. I guess that's not bad, but I'm spoiled with my extended battery, though I don't talk on my phone by 5 or 6 minutes a month (I'm of the "If I'm not in the office, there nothing I can do to help you, and if you need to set an appointment, talk to the person at my office or leave a message there" mantality on mobile phones).

Switched to Verzon from Cingular after I got tired of not being able to connect to anything. Was with AT&T for 9 years before Cingular bought them with no problems, but they started within days of the Cingular takeover. Yeah, Cingular may have fewer dropped calls by their own paid study, but they have the fewest successful connects, too. I've been very pleased with Verizon and in many places the Internet Access is at 2x broadband speed. Unfortunately, not in my home town, but everytime I travel, I love the speed. Still, at the "low" speed in my town, it opens pages faster than my sister's Sprint phone does with the enhanced broadband. On Sprint's defense, though, from time to time I've had to close a lot of junk my sister has running all the time, which eats up memory, and that could have been a big issue as well as a partiular program she uses that I'd rather not mention that is a huge memory leaker (I warned her, but her boss uses that software package, so she wants it). Such things will drastically decrease any wireless access rate.

Understand that when I say "Audio VOX," I am speaking of the "Verizon" named phones. Most Posket PC devices were manufactured by third parties, such as Compaq iPaqs were manufactured by Siemans following a dispute with Casio who had previously manufactured them. Audio VOX has been manufacturing them for some time for a variety of big-name computer companies, and even sold "blue-box" systems to other manufactures who could simply assemble them and stamp their name on them. They know what they are doing. Samsung has a leg up simply because they actually manufacture many of the chips, which are faster than the Intel chips, but 100% compatible.

If you do get a Verizon broadband wireless phone, though, there are two programs you will want to install that will make the device run much faster: one is called VBRegFix and the other is called VBXLRate. These program will fix the Regostry issues these third party reseller cause by installing all their junk in bulk and fix a lot of the programs that use any "CE.NET" programs, which most do. Contact me by email and I can get you these programs.

John-David Biggers
Old 12-03-2006, 08:01 PM

State: Tennessee
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

I just got the Samsung SCH-a930 ... not exactly a "smartphone" by definition, but with a 1 gig transflash and a USB cable, it can get pretty smart ... features a 1.3 megapixel camera and a real video camera, Mobil web 2.0, speakerphone and the best thing is the Verizon Navigator.... I am most impressed with it's capabilities, thus far... and it plays videos, mp3's and wma's ... to keep the kids entertained ... It was free, online, with my "new every two" discount ... well worth checking out ...
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread