Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Technical - Hardware/Software > a la mode (WinTotal)
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 01:41 PM

State: Virginia
Professional Status: Appraiser Trainee
Default Wintotal over a WAN

Have you successfully installed any type of application server in your office, to run wintotal via telnet or other protocol ? My goal is to remotely log in from a laptop....say on vacation(i know that sounds bad on my part but we do what we have to), and work, while keeping data centralized. I do have a subscription to the vault, but this server would backup other things, as well - eg wife's information, family pictures, personal & business information.

Would you care to share your setup, including backup, RAID, anything else you'd recommend, and your thoughts? I'm interested in how much computing power required to handle such a setup for possibly 4 simultaneous instances with room for some growth. something i heard about but know very little is to lease a server, and would also like your input or experience.

A few years ago, out of curiosity i did try wintotal network install on a pentium 4 / 2.8 which gave me about 30secs of lag between forms. Having read some of the EULA i'd like my business to be as compliant as we can, and my feeling is the cost for yearly subscriptions for other users may cost more than that of a server, not factoring the cost of maintenance.

and yes, i did call alamode support for specific recommendations on what kind of server for this setup but they just said to look at the dell website, which has servers from 1,000 on up to 5,000+. so not much help there.

Lastly, does USPAP - or other appraisal governing body - say anything about storing and retrieving data in this fashion? i know mortgages have to be extra careful because the amount of client information, what about appraisers?
Sponsored Links

Old 12-08-2006, 04:22 PM

State: Colorado
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

What I used to do is put everything on Vault and when I was out in the field, I would get the latest update out vault and make any changes an add them back to vault. It was like my own WAN. I believe most vendors have some kind of Vault system.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:00 PM

State: Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Nguyen
A few years ago, out of curiosity i did try wintotal network install on a pentium 4 / 2.8 which gave me about 30secs of lag between forms.
If you already know how slow it is over a LAN, how good do you think it will be over a WAN?
Most people who have tinkered with this via cheap VPN (<1k) methods have reported it's not good enough.
Many who use the simpler solution, GoToMyPC (Citrix) love it. IMO, GoToMyPC or similar remote access solution will take care of the vacation scenario. If you have four PC's available for remote access, it will do well depending on the broadband speed. However, don't confuse the down speed advertised by consumer products, what counts in a remote access solution is the opposite, how fast is your upload speed?

Your post indicates you want a more corporate-like setup, which will cost you. But if you do an ROI, the conclusion is inevitable- not worth it.

Old 12-09-2006, 08:45 AM

State: Virginia
Professional Status: Appraiser Trainee

it seems the concensus is not to mess with something already working [somewhat] well I was more interested in how wintotal is handled over a real server with more computing power vs a cheapie home network.

I'm famaliar with download/upload speeds. we currently have fiber running 15/2, and will consider upgrading to 30/5 if this even a practical solution.

thanks again.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:24 AM

State: Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Nguyen
it seems the concensus is not to mess with something already working [somewhat] well I was more interested in how wintotal is handled over a real server with more computing power vs a cheapie home network.

I'm famaliar with download/upload speeds. we currently have fiber running 15/2, and will consider upgrading to 30/5 if this even a practical solution.

thanks again.
Application performance will improve by having the best hardware (real server) and also by better software. The latter has as much, or more of an impact on performance. So does proper configuration/settings.

The real benchmark question is whether the application/software can take advantage of the better hardware.
Wintotal is not a program written to be run on the premise of a client-server environment. Rather, it remains a peer-to-peer implementation keeping the inherent limitations.
AFAIK, none of the forms applications are programmed to be client/server products.
What makes Wintotal better than Athena in terms of performance is the latest database improvements by utilizing the M$ SQL-based DB instead of reliance to the MS Access performance. This is a major breakthrough for users on networks. But Wintotal will not be able to truly take advantage of cutting edge technology, such as duo-core processing. Those of us thinking of getting the VISTA operating system will not see any performance improvements in Wintotal as well as other programs that are not updated to do so.
If you want to optimize performance, I'd look into your current setup and apply tweaks on what you have. Most of the time, the setup of LAN and home-networks leave many areas for improvement due to faulty configuration and setup issues, neglect etc.

This means, if you have a small network running 3 or 4 PC, and Wintotal (server) is running on a PC running XP Home, you should upgrade that OS to XP Professional for the biggest bang for the buck. Upgrading the OS to Windoz 2003 server on the right hardware is more costly but will also return better performance, provided you know how to setup the server properly, it is a different animal as compared to a PC. Many server operators (corporate and home-user alike) stop short of turning on the server and installing some software on it. The configuration and tweaking is what optimizes the performance.

Sponsored Links

Closed Thread