Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Technical - Hardware/Software > a la mode (WinTotal)
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 06:55 PM

Default WinTotal alternative location Map source??

The location map feature provided with an annual membership does not work if you don't renew (at least $349/year with Alamode.) What are some of the options to still get location maps from other sources? Anyone doing this???? thanks!
Sponsored Links

Old 01-10-2007, 07:31 AM

State: Maryland
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Default Other Maps

I was starting to do this when Win total wasn't going to support the older software. Then Mr. Big blinked as he should have and I went back to their mapping.

I used my local MLS called MRIS. I would eliminate all comparables but the 3 or so I was going to use. I just clicked map these comps and all of the comparables would appear on (I think) a microsoft map.

I would then right click the map and choose copy. From the mapping function in Total I would select the "copy from clipboard" item.

All the comparables would show up on the map. Then I would edit the map to add the location of the subject property.

I'm sure you could do this with Street 2006 or some other software out there.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:14 AM

when you use a third party map program - like Street 2006 - I know you can place comp locations on it - but what about calculating distances? How would Alamode have a clue as to the distance from your subject??
Old 01-10-2007, 02:32 PM

State: Louisiana
Professional Status: Retired Appraiser

Get out a paper/book map and measure the distances, then type it in the report. This is what I did before we had internet mapping capability.

If you want free software, it is gonna come with some inconveniences.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:54 PM

State: Massachusetts

Tom, In Streets and Trips 2006 under the tools menu there is a measure distance. After you measure you will have to type your distances in on the form.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:22 AM

State: California

I think what Tom is asking, is "Is there an alternative withg the same capabilities as what I pay $349/yr for, that is free/cheap."

I hear ya...I have had the same question. Really, is $349 or so/year worth it to not have to cut and paste a map and estimate distances.

I have MS Mappoint 2006 http://www.microsoft.com/mappoint/pr...6/default.mspx

This is the program that Bradford uses to map thier comparables automatically. I think WinTotal is the same. I think they have it on a server that your client accesses to get the map and distances.

I would love to have it on my server and have my program (Bradford or Alamode) point to it. I just dont know how.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:26 PM

State: Arizona
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Crump
The location map feature provided with an annual membership does not work if you don't renew (at least $349/year with Alamode.) What are some of the options to still get location maps from other sources? Anyone doing this???? thanks!
They told me the last two days they have a $199 special on 'Silver membership', good til the end of Jan.

Yesterday, I played with Microsoft Maps & Trips (2002), Mapquest and MLS maps and determined the MLS maps are the best substitute, IMO. No, it doesn't calc distances, but those can be estimated or obtained from another mapping app.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:30 AM

State: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn Young
I have just started in this business. Right now I am working on the accounting part of everything for my company and we use WinTotal a lot. I was just wondering if there is such a thing as a book on WinTotal that I can either purchase or whatever I need to do so that I can familiarize myself with the software the appraisers are doing. My boss is teaching me stuff as we go along but it takes so much time away from him pumping out more appraisals with the things that I could be doing in the office while he is in the field! Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Welcome, here's a link to alamode training. You can download manuals from there and more. Best of luck!
Old 01-25-2007, 08:58 AM

State: Georgia
Default To each appraiser his own decision....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Blackburn
I think what Tom is asking, is "Is there an alternative withg the same capabilities as what I pay $349/yr for, that is free/cheap."

I hear ya...I have had the same question. Really, is $349 or so/year worth it to not have to cut and paste a map and estimate distances.

I have MS Mappoint 2006 http://www.microsoft.com/mappoint/pr...6/default.mspx

This is the program that Bradford uses to map thier comparables automatically. I think WinTotal is the same. I think they have it on a server that your client accesses to get the map and distances.

I would love to have it on my server and have my program (Bradford or Alamode) point to it. I just dont know how.
For each it is a business decision. For me, I stick with Alamode. Our annual fee is for much more than just the maps--even though that is definitely part of it.

My partner and I completed a combined 718 residential appraisal reports in 2006. That is less than $0.50 per location map. To not have to go into another piece of software, add the locations, map them, copy/paste into Wintotal, type in the distances, etc. That is pretty inexpensive from my point of view. Also, for that less than $0.50, the FEMA and Census Tract information is pulled and automatically entered into my report--along with the distances, etc. from the map. To me, time is money. Like many on this forum, I work pretty long hours (and spend a little too much time some days on the forum) and want to take all legitimate time shortcuts that I can. Otherwise, what is the use in having a wife and kids if you can't give them an ample amount of your time?

EDIT HERE----> We have a pretty big package with a few bells and whistles (web site, vault, etc.) Even at that, our total software costs per appraisal was less than $2 per. Of course, that software cost per appraisal fluctuates with the number of appraisals actually performed.

Last edited by Mister Ed : 01-25-2007 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Add new information
Old 01-25-2007, 09:13 AM

State: North Carolina

My time is valuable enough that I don't mind paying for things that help me do my job faster, easier. I can get more money, but time cannot be replaced.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread