Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Technical - Hardware/Software > a la mode (WinTotal)
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 11:26 PM
Wade Koutnik

Default Best PDA for PocketTotal

Which one does everyone prefer for inspections and sketches?
Sponsored Links

Old 01-12-2007, 02:14 AM

State: Washington
Professional Status: General Public

I haven't actually used PocketTotal myself, but have set it up for a few clients using Compaq handhelds. Basically the best they were willing to spend for in each case. Screen size appears to be the biggest deciding factor as they all behave about the same. --Personal preference, check out the new PDA/Phone that only Cingular has available. It is made by Compaq, does everything a PDA should, is a GSRM phone and has GPS built-in. If I were shopping now this would be the best choice--

BTW - My Degree is in Comp.Sci. and I have been self-supporting as a network/PC consultant for 20+ years, primarily supporting appraisers and their businesses.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:18 AM

State: Texas
Professional Status: IT Professional-Appraisal Related

My recommendation is to check the screen resolutions on mobile devices before purchasing. Many (most?) of the newer "converged" devices that people mention have 240 x 240 pixel "square" screens and are not very compatible with Pocket TOTAL or MobileSketch as they are both designed for 240 x 320 pixel (minimum) resolution. MobileSketch also supports the high resolution 480 x 640 screens and we like those units best because of the increased detail. Pocket TOTAL also runs on those devices but is not specifically designed for them. Pocket TOTAL merely runs well on them - that is it looks sharper but doesn't actually run or take specific advantage of the increased resolution. Overall, the best device available (new) today is the Dell Axim x51v (the "v" is important - it designates the high resolution screen.) There are new high resolution devices coming to the market now, but they are not commonly available yet.

Let me know if you need more detailed information. If you specifically want a "converged" device (phone, GPS, camera, etc.) I can list a few of the ones we have and use ourselves. You can also call a la mode and ask them for recommendations.

Hope this helps!
Old 01-12-2007, 09:23 AM
Wade Koutnik

Randall. What are some of the converged devices that work well?
Old 01-12-2007, 10:44 AM

State: Colorado
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

For a straoght PDA, I have a DELL Axim X51V....I would not want any smaller screen. I do have to admit that I do not usually use Mobile Skectch because it is takes quite awhile to get use to. I found what works beest for me is to sketch on paper, and do the rest of the inspection on the PDA. I can say that I was starting to get better with the sketch program....but I had a computer crash that caused me to stop using my PDA for a long time....and getting back into it is really difficult.....but I did find that I saved about 30-60 minutes per report using my PDA.

Brad
Old 01-12-2007, 11:20 AM

State: Virginia

Ipaq 4705 has been a good devise for me. It doubles as a gps.
Old 01-13-2007, 02:12 PM

State: Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Gillispie
For a straoght PDA, I have a DELL Axim X51V....I would not want any smaller screen. I do have to admit that I do not usually use Mobile Skectch because it is takes quite awhile to get use to. I found what works beest for me is to sketch on paper, and do the rest of the inspection on the PDA. I can say that I was starting to get better with the sketch program....but I had a computer crash that caused me to stop using my PDA for a long time....and getting back into it is really difficult.....but I did find that I saved about 30-60 minutes per report using my PDA.

Brad
Would the Dell Axim X50 be compatible with Pocket Total or is the screen resolution not high enough?
Old 01-13-2007, 03:54 PM

State: Other Non-US

Ms. Fryman,

An X50 would be fine for data gathering, pretty good even for sketching. For Sketching the X50v or X51v would be better.

If one gets a X51v you should go to the Dell Forum and read up on something called the "Fake Server Trick"... Out of the box ActiveSync on the X51v has this lovely habit of launching itself about every five mins to look for "connections, even when the X51v is not docked. This can slow the critter down on you. The "Fake Server Trick" is very easy to do.

Barry Dayton
Old 01-13-2007, 04:11 PM

State: Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry M. Dayton
Ms. Fryman,

An X50 would be fine for data gathering, pretty good even for sketching. For Sketching the X50v or X51v would be better.

If one gets a X51v you should go to the Dell Forum and read up on something called the "Fake Server Trick"... Out of the box ActiveSync on the X51v has this lovely habit of launching itself about every five mins to look for "connections, even when the X51v is not docked. This can slow the critter down on you. The "Fake Server Trick" is very easy to do.

Barry Dayton
Thank you Mr. Dayton for the information. I currently have an Axim X50 and was trying to decide if I should purchase Pocket Total. I've heard that the X51v has had some "issues" with Windows Mobile 5.0 and have been leery of upgrading until the bugs have been worked out.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:59 PM

State: Texas
Professional Status: IT Professional-Appraisal Related

Wade:

I am on the road, between stops. I will get a more complete list for you whan I get back to my office. One that works OK is the Cingular 8525 which I am using to send this message. I still miss the high resolution screen on my hx4700, though.

Closed Thread