Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Technical - Hardware/Software > a la mode (WinTotal)
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 02:13 PM

State: Tennessee
Professional Status: Appraiser Trainee
Default Remote PocketTotal Synchronization

Hello,

I have an Small Business Server '03 set up at our office where people can work remotely via a terminal services session. This so far has worked pretty well. I recently purchased an Axim X51v with Win Mobile 5.0, and loaded Pocket Total and Pocket Sketch for one of our appraisers.

The appraiser has gotten quite used to working remotely and I have not been able to figure out how to synchronize Pocket Total reports. A La Mode's support documents state that these reports cannot be synched via email because of a limitation with WinMob 5.0.

I tried setting up a VPN connection and running WinTotal on the remote client so that the it could read the PDA and synch with the database, but this was painfully slow taking over an hour before leaving it over night to synch 2 reports.

Has any one done this before? It will be a hard sell to convince this person to drive 20 minutes to the office to save 20 minutes of report input time.

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links

Old 01-16-2007, 08:53 PM

State: Georgia
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by David E Gardner
A La Mode's support documents state that these reports cannot be synched via email because of a limitation with WinMob 5.0
Hi David,
I don't have your setup.
But as far as sending pocketotal files via email, it should not have anything to do with WM5.
Just have the .p2k file sent over and whoever works in the office should be able to open the file via email attachment and synch the new information by opening the file.

Not a true "synch" but end result is the same.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Chu
... as far as sending pocketotal files via email, it should not have anything to do with WM5.
Hi Michael,

Thank you for the reply.

From ALM's support site: "Note: If you’re using Windows Mobile 5.0 this featuere does not apply. Due to limitations in Windows Mobile 5.0, there is currently no way to send Pocket TOTAL reports from your Pocket PC to an e-mail recipient."

http://help.alamode.com/appraiser/po...izingfiles.htm

(Under Internet Sending & Receiving - Sending from Pocket TOTAL to WinTOTAL)

Fortunately, it seems the upconversion is done in WT and not through the synchronization process with the PDA. It will be fairly easy to come up with a workable method of getting the PT file onto the host computer running WT for conversion.

Thanks again.

Last edited by David E Gardner : 01-17-2007 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:42 AM

I see. What a cop-out. I am sending p2k files under WM2003 2nd Ed.
Evidently, the PocketTotal product was never upgraded to work with WM5 and they pass the buck to say WM5 has limitations?

It becomes a manual file attachment sending process then. A pain in the butt, however, the key is sending the .p2k file via email, no limitation within WM5 for that basic function.
Just bypass the EDI-nonsense within pocketotal and attach the file from your pda's email app. as an attachment.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Chu
... however, the key is sending the .p2k file via email, no limitation within WM5 for that basic function.
How key is the email element in this? If it is purely for file transport, then we won't have a problem. If it somehow figures into the merging process, that would cause problems. We have an Exchange server for email (comes standard with SBS) and that would pose problems for remote PPC synch. I just checked the file association of .p2k files and they are associated with WinTotal so it does look like ALM put the necessary back door into it. Theoretically, a double-click on the file wherever it sits should launch WinTotal and pull all the data into the database. I'll give it a try when I have the chance and see how it goes.

I guess ALM did some data analysis to figure out how many of its customers it would PO by dropping this feature and figured the ROI on correcting this wasn't worth it.

Thanks for all your help.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David E Gardner
I tried setting up a VPN connection and running WinTotal on the remote client so that the it could read the PDA and synch with the database, but this was painfully slow taking over an hour before leaving it over night to synch 2 reports.
I think this counts as some sort of record in the alamode hall of fame.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread