Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Technical - Hardware/Software > a la mode (WinTotal)
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 01:18 PM

Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Default Sketch Software for A la Mode

I'm looking into sketching software today. Areasketch. Rapidsketch. Apex Medina. WinSketch. Too many choices.

They all seem to range around $200. All seem like decent sketching programs. I don't need any bells & whistles; just need to draw exterior & additions, lines for interior walls, and text for labeling rooms. I do like adding in little graphics when it's slow (stairways, doors, etc) but it's not a nessessity.

Thoughts on sketch software? Ones to avoid? Ones which stand out? Do any cost signifigantly higher / lower than $200. Do some have an annual fee versus a one time cost?
Sponsored Links

Old 01-16-2007, 01:23 PM

State: Georgia

None of the above, unless your current form software came with it.
I'd hold off your purchase until something gives.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:53 PM

State: Florida
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

I think what Michael is saying is that you should wait, because it seems as if some very popular sketching software may or may not integrate well any more with some very popular appraisal software. I think his advice is good, wait a while.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:17 PM

State: Texas
Professional Status: IT Professional-Appraisal Related

Brooke:

Good advice from Michael and Bill, IMHO. I will stay away from recommendations, though, since I am biased, LOL. I can say, however, that our pricing is way below the $200 mark. Outside of any promotional offerings, it is running $199 for two users, so (say) under $100 per user, and less per user for a larger site. We went with a "1-2" user license since so many people asked us for a second or "laptop" license.

I advise prospective users to compare sketch programs just as they should for "forms" stuff. Find and use what works for YOU. Consider reliability, support and other factors. Find out what your peers are using so that you may call upon them for tips and peer-to-peer support here and on other forums. Most of the programs mentioned have evaluation periods where you can try the software to see how well it works for you. Finally, remember that most also have "money back guarantees" so if you purchase one and then find that another simply works better for you, you have the option of returning it and switching to another one. Let me know if you would like for us to set you up with an evaluation of Apex, a walk-thru and even a seat in our next webinar.

Hope this helps!
Old 01-16-2007, 02:30 PM

I have used Apex since graduating from an Etch-a-sketch many, many years ago. (Still like some ofthe stuff the dos version had). I have used it successfully with ACI, Appraise It, Apraiser's Tool Box and Alamode. I did try one that a company gave me. I think it was called win sketch. I did not care for it. At the time it could not even draw interior walls on an angle. ONly vertical or horizontal. I am sure they have got that figured out. Apex, I believe is the industry standard and worth every penny.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:02 PM

Professional Status: IT Professional-Appraisal Related

Bill:

Thanks for the kind words! I noted your comment about some features in the old DOS program, and I read that to mean that you are not seeing them available in more recent versions (?) That may be true, as some items in older programs simple didn't "make the cut" in later versions, but it may also be true that they (or similar) are still there, just not readily apparent (?) Let me know what you really miss and I'll let you know if it is still there but under a different name of icon, or if it has reappeared in the latest version, or is on a list to be re-introduced. Overall, I'd like to hear what items you miss, and how we can make the product better for you. As I have said before, constructive criticism is most welcome, so please share your thoughts (and from everyone else, too!) I just want to make Apex what YOU folks want it to be.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:17 PM

http://appraisersforum.com/technical...h-package.html

i've already documented several challenging sketch issues which i was able to simplify and solve using some of the obscure functionality in the excel draw package (see other threads). seems like every time i encounter a challenging sketch issue, if i investigate a little i can find a simple solution. i'm still scratching the surface, there are many "way cool" things waiting to be used.

i'm a happy camper.

buenos noches.

Old 01-16-2007, 10:35 PM

Default Apex/Ala Mode integration

Hi Brooke,
I have recent posts on another thread. I really like Apex and used it when it integrated with WinTotal. New licenses of WinTotal do not integrate and I am not happy with the process to put my Apex sketches into my reports.

To their credit, Apex has tried to assist me, but the fact remains that it is not integrated which means extra steps and more importantly manually entering your calculations into your report and risk mistyping numbers.
If you have an opportunity, I would evaluate the programs that do integrate. You may like them, but I didn't want to face the learning curve. And I'll say it again, Apex is a great program.
Good Luck
Old 01-16-2007, 10:50 PM

State: Georgia

[quote=Brooke Carr]I'm looking into sketching software today. Areasketch. Rapidsketch. Apex Medina. WinSketch. Too many choices.
[quote]

Didn't know you could purchase Wintotal without sketching software?
I assumed you did, that is the reason for my curt post. thankfully Mr. Geiger was kind enough to correct my post, perfectly. Thanks.

I purchased Wintotal with the Apex2 included and last year upgraded to the next version but holding off on the Medina purchase because there appear to be some issues with how the two work together.

You see, sketch integration is meaningful if it helps the user. I can click a button and start sketching, when done, just closing the sketch application should take you back into the forms application and let you continue work.

This is what appears to be broken and the early adopters have lost this easy integration over what appears to be a vendor agreement issue.
I am still hopeful that this will get resolved and I can upgrade to the slick, new Medina and Nexus for my tablet PC.

But if Wintotal keeps ignoring user's needs I will be where you're at today.
Only, I'd have chosen Apex as the sketch software and trying to match a decent forms software, Apex is that good.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:40 AM

Micheal Chu states:
Quote:
But if Wintotal keeps ignoring user's needs I will be where you're at today.
Only, I'd have chosen Apex as the sketch software and trying to match a decent forms software, Apex is that good.
He and I think alike. APEX IS that good. I have used it since its inception (I recently found out that my customer ID with APEX is "#8" !).
However, the integration issue with Medina is bothersome. It doesn't appear to be the fault of APEX, but I prefer the integration abilities of the older APEX versions, over the bells and whistles of the newer Medina version. I sure hope the issues are resolved!

Closed Thread