Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Other Forums > Ask an Appraiser
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 08:48 PM

Exclamation How much does a Cell Tower effect property values?

T-Mobile wants to build a 132 foot tall monopole cell tower about 350 feet from my back door. Our home is currently estimated to be valued at $600K. There will be a clear view of the tower from our back yard and from most of our development. We are preparing our arguments for the Zoning Hearing Board where T-Mobile is seeking a variance to build this in a residential development.

What kind of impact can I expect this to have on our property value?
Are there any studies or documentation available on this kind of impact?

I appreciate any help you can provide!
Sponsored Links

Old 01-19-2007, 08:52 PM

State: Florida
Professional Status: General Public

Quite a bit.

there are lots of uknowns here. Hire a competent appraiser to help you determine the "taking."
Old 01-19-2007, 09:03 PM

Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

Keith,

Use the search engine and search for "cell towers"....there is MUCH discussion...lots of material!

TB
Old 01-19-2007, 10:57 PM

State: Illinois

Provide us with your location. Perhaps someone then can provide you with more specific asistance.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:19 AM

State: Hawaii
Professional Status: IT Professional-Appraisal Related

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Dasher
T-Mobile wants to build a 132 foot tall monopole cell tower about 350 feet from my back door. Our home is currently estimated to be valued at $600K. There will be a clear view of the tower from our back yard and from most of our development. We are preparing our arguments for the Zoning Hearing Board where T-Mobile is seeking a variance to build this in a residential development.

What kind of impact can I expect this to have on our property value?
Are there any studies or documentation available on this kind of impact?

I appreciate any help you can provide!

On the POSITIVE side, all residents in the vicinity of the tower will have great cell reception. I find this to be an advantage, and would pay EXTRA for it.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:45 AM

State: North Carolina

Just an FYI a buddy of mine has a cell tower in his back yard, he gets upwards of $500 per month on a 20 year lease from the Cell company and two free phones for the life of the lease. I have a friend who works for a company that finds places to put there towers. If you are in an area that does not have a lot of options you can negotiate a sweet deal, if not you will end up getting less.

Whether or not the waves are bad for your is still unknown.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:18 PM

State: Louisiana
Professional Status: Retired Appraiser

It really all boils down to how buyers in your area view the impact of the towers. In some areas there may be no impact on value at all, while in other areas there is an impact. Your question requires a very local answer.

My thinking is 350 feet beyond your property may not hurt your value very much. Are there any other buildings, trees, etc. between your property and the tower site?
Old 01-20-2007, 06:35 PM

State: California

Are they gonna decorate to look like a tree?
Old 01-20-2007, 07:02 PM

State: Hawaii
Professional Status: IT Professional-Appraisal Related

Another POSITIVE is that the neighborhood kids can spend endless hours climbing the tower for fun. In fact, I'd put a small doughboy pool under the tower, for diving practice.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:07 PM

Default Does it effect or affect property values?

As a former Planning Board Member for Altamonte Springs, Florida, let me share what I would do in your situation.

It would be great if you had market data that supported your position that cell phone or major power easements with towers had a negative impact on property values, but that's unlikely.

In fact, I've personally run across data that supported both sides of the argument. Years ago, there was a published study that high powered tension wires were related to an increase in cancer. But that was countered later on, if I'm not mistaken.

You might want to find an appraiser or Realtor who could give general testimony and not cite specifics. In other words....Mr/Madam Chairman, it's been my experience......."

Or, Google it and find any research that may raise a health concern in any way, shape or form.

Or take multiple photos of other towers and base your case on the 'unsightly' view.

My recommendation would be to rally the neighbors. It's been my experience that if enough concerned neighbors show up to the meeting who voice opposition, chances are they'll either table it and wait for further research or just reject the motion in its entirety.

But as we all know, politics is a powerful train. And money in the form of tax dollars or political contributions eventually trump, no pun intended.

Closed Thread