Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > FHA/HUD and VA
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 11:07 AM

State: Illinois
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Default Don Clark...help! VA Exterior on the 1004

I need help.

I have my first "exterior" on the 1004 for the VA and an owner-occupied foreclosure where I can't gain access to the property.

I believe that Don Clark offered some advice on this topic at some time, but I can't seem to find the information now that I really need it!

Don, help!

Old 03-19-2007, 12:43 PM

State: Virginia

Lee,

VA requires that you do the appraisal on the specific form for that property type. When you use the property specific form you have to comment on an addenda what parts of the pre-printed statements do not apply such as those that referrence a sketch, those that referrence an interior and exterior inspection, and the fact that VA requires that you do them that way. Tried to find an example but I have not done a liquidation of that type for VA in a long time. But, full discklsoure of what part of the pre-printed forms have been deviated from is critical.

Email: CDonClark @ cavtel.net (remove the spaces)

Last edited by Pamela Crowley (Florida) : 03-19-2007 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Saving Don from lots of spam
Old 04-03-2007, 11:55 AM

State: Colorado

It's called a supplemental standard! Since the appraisal is not going to Fannie Mae VA doesn't care what the form says. I do add a comment,...."per VA supplemental standards".
Old 04-03-2007, 12:09 PM

State: North Carolina
Professional Status: Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.

What are your specific questions? Both Don and Mike gave you good advice about the forms.

After you have made your 3 legitimate attempts to gain entry do the appraisal as an exterior inspection and document your 3 attempts to gain entry on the liquidation addendum.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:11 PM

State: Florida
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

I make the following comment in the "Conditions of Appraisal" section of the Reconciliation section and similar comments in various other places in the report.

"An interior inspection was not permitted. An interior inspection may reveal conditions which could adversely affect the value indication. An extraordinary assumption is made that interior features are typical for the neighborhood and the interior condition is similar to the observed condition of the exterior."

I don't know how else you could possible cover yourself and advise the reader of the level of inspection.

Closed Thread