Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Manufactured Housing
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 07:11 PM

State: Oregon
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser
Question Boise Cascade 1972 modular home 1004C?

Pacific Northwest appraisers familiar with the Boise Cascade modular homes built in the 1970’s which form do you report them on?

Boise Cascades were factory built in two sections and are readily identifiable by the crease of the shingles 18” above the edge of the roof left from their “flip up” eaves. The homes were 14’ wide per section and the roof eaves had to be flipped up on the roof to allow highway travel.

I have an inspection set for Tuesday in the next county over and the owner just called me to say that despite what it says on his credit report,it is not a manufactured home, it is a Boise Cascade. I said "So a modular?" He said no Boise Cascade site built it

The over the web county records show a CLASS 3 SINGLE FAMILY DWELLING 1,008 Sqft 1972 Year Built. Wish me luck with the City Building Department.

Identifing other Boise Cascades for sales comps is going to be a problem since Realtors don't like to disclose them in the MLS.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:51 PM

State: California
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

Does the home have a permanent steel chassis?
Old 04-04-2007, 11:17 PM

State: Georgia
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

That would be a LOT appraisal in my area. A 1970's MF'er isn't going to get financing, and will have a date with a D9 Cat within a month.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:20 PM

No metal frame, usually floor joists on a 2" x 8" frame that is rolled or craned onto a poured stemwall foundation so it looks like a site built home. I will have to check with the building department Thursday and look in the crawlspace on Tuesday to find out more.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:22 PM

State: Florida

It won't be a 1004C because it's not a HUD code manufactured home. It's a pre-76 mobile.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:31 PM

State: Ohio
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Tim's right. Only use a 1004C on a HUD code house.

Quote:
A 1970's MF'er isn't going to get financing
Are you referring to some people you went to high school with?
Old 04-05-2007, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Wixted View Post
It won't be a 1004C because it's not a HUD code manufactured home. It's a pre-76 mobile.
Boise Cascade modulars were built to UBC or local codes so I would not call it a mobile. I just wasn't sure if Fannie/Freddie required modulars to go on the 1004C form. LandSafe said go ahead with the appraisal on the 1004.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:04 PM

State: California

The history of Boise Cascade, particularly about the time they acquired Wayne (a bus and coach maker) speaks to their entry into manufacturing of homes and mobile homes.

If there's a chassis, it's a mobile. If there is no chassis it's an off-frame modular.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:49 PM

State: Arizona

And both a mobile home and an "off frame" modular would be reported on the 1004. The 1004C is only for manufactured homes constructed to the HUD building code.

Although some lenders do no understand the difference and insist on the 1004C for mobile homes, in which case every other word in the report is the subject is a mobile home constructed prior to the adoption of the HUD building code and does not qualify for Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac or FHA.

"Off frame" modular would be on the 1004 report. Be sure include a photo of the wood under framing so nobody can argue later that it was a mobile home. Take photos of any insignias, labels, tags, papers, etc, etc, etc you can find.

Closed Thread