Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > General Appraisal Discussion
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 03:13 PM

State: Texas
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Default ICF Construction

Had someone in the Houston area that is looking for an Appraiser to do some appraisals on ICF Constructed homes. I referred her to this site. She is supposed to email me, so if anyone is interested, let me know and I will give her your contact info.

I have done one appraisal of an ICF constructed home up here in the north Texas area, and it was a rough assignment!

Rick
Sponsored Links

Old 07-17-2007, 03:19 PM

State: Nevada

I just did one about 3 weeks ago. The home owner was actually the builder so I got some real good information from him on the techniques, costs, etc. This was my first ICF house and had they not told me it was ICF I would have never known. He told me it is only about 5% more in costs, but the benefits will far out way the the extra costs. To demonstrate he had me go inside the house and he fired up his rider mower and drove by the house and I couldn't even hear a peep from the rider. Amazing.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:34 PM

State: California
Professional Status: Retired Appraiser

What is it about ICF constructed homes that make them different?
Old 07-17-2007, 03:44 PM

State: Wisconsin
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

The exterior walls are all concrete.
Good on energy and exterior noise reduction.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:56 PM

State: California
Professional Status: Retired Appraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Hyland View Post
The exterior walls are all concrete.
Good on energy and exterior noise reduction.
In another life I lived in a house built out of concrete block. It was the coldest house I ever lived in during the winter and the hottest in the summer. Why are these different?
Old 07-17-2007, 03:58 PM

State: Illinois
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

The houses are constructed using foam forms which are set up much like leggo blocks.
Then reinforcing bars are istalled in the forms and concrete is pumped in.

It provides a very sound, sturdy structure.
In addition to the sound quality, they are also very well insulated, with little or no heat loss.

If they were constructed in a concrete slab, with proper anchoring and Florida type roof structure, you should be able to stand a Florida hurricane wit little damage [depending on the strength of the wind]

If I were to build, that is the system that I would use.

ICF stand for insulated concrete forms.

There are over 100 companies which manufacture the forms. Now some of the majors are getting into it.

Wayne Tomlinson
Old 07-17-2007, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Boyd View Post
In another life I lived in a house built out of concrete block. It was the coldest house I ever lived in during the winter and the hottest in the summer. Why are these different?
That's because the blocks were not filled with concrete like the ICF walls are.

Wayne explained it pretty good. The blocks come in different lengths and heights to your specifications I believe. They stack them like legos and fill them with concrete and rebar. The walls end up being about 10" thick if I remember right. So if you didn't know if the house was ICF the only real way to tell would be look at the window sills as they will be much wider. I want to say the R value ends up around 40-50 I believe, I could be wrong on that though. But this builder did state it was much higher then regular built homes and you would definitely notice it in reduced energy costs to heat and cool the home.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:09 AM

State: Florida
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

I've done them. Problem is, in this market, cost exceeds ROI. On resale in a subdivision of them, could not find any market differential between typical modern stick-built home and the ICF home.

If you do one, you've really got to have resale comps or you can be way off on the final market value.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:33 AM

State: Arkansas

RStrahan,
If they are as sound and sturdy as Wayne indicated it looks like a good fit for Texas, especially since you are prone to tornado's. Probably wouldn't take but just one good and mean twister to come through town. Tear the crap out of everything else but them, and the market might change it's mind.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RStrahan View Post
I've done them. Problem is, in this market, cost exceeds ROI. On resale in a subdivision of them, could not find any market differential between typical modern stick-built home and the ICF home.

If you do one, you've really got to have resale comps or you can be way off on the final market value.
If the market doesn't show any reaction to them, then how can you be way off?
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread