Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Manufactured Housing
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 07:18 PM

State: Arizona
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Default Modular off frame?

While doing an appraisal of what appears to be a site built home, I found a small tag under the kitchen sink with the following info:

Cavco, 2502 W. Durango, Phoenix, AZ
31'3 X 46'4
f-ll2253
AZ270446 / AZ272343
5/20/96
cavaadc 96-0491xu/cp-1437

I looked under the home and there is a wood frame and no post/pier. The home does seem to be a site built home with no attic at first glance.

My first thought is that I have a modular off frame (heard about them, not appraised one yet...). There are no plates attached to the exterior of the home at all.

My understanding was that a modular would not be bought to the site in two pieces (AZ270446 & AZ272343???). I thought the pieces would be assembeld onsite. This seems to be two halves which I would think would be a double wide manufactured home.

Have I misunderstood?

Patti in Chino Valley, AZ
Sponsored Links

Old 10-26-2007, 07:24 PM

State: California

Quote:
Have I misunderstood?
Yes. Sort of.

You might be thinking of panelized construction. Modulars are built in sections and then delivered to the site where they are installed on prepared foundations.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:43 PM

State: Wisconsin
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

Modulars can also have more then two sections as well as HUD Code Homes now.

You need to find out what code it is built to.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:59 PM

Thanks for the info. I also wish to verify that IF this home is indeed a off frame modular, I should use modular and/or site built homes as comparable sales. This is for a FHA insured loan.

Thanks for your help,
Old 10-27-2007, 08:36 AM

Just sent you my Arizona information which includes the phone number for the state manufactured housing office. You can call them with that information and they will tell you if it was inspected by the HUD inspector or the modular building inspector. You can also call Cavco with the same information and questions. Cavco builds both manufactured homes to the HUD code and "on frame" modulars to UBC at the Durango plant in the same assembly line, and have since about 1985. They also build off frame modular offices, classrooms, etc at that plant. So they might have constructed an "off frame" modular residence as a special order.

Your subject does sound like an "off frame" modular because of the numbering on that label you found. Manufactured homes constructed in Arizona plants have HUD labels that begin with ARZ. Modular homes constructed in Arizona plants have state label numbers beginning with AZ. Although Schult Homes built at the Buckeye plant have state labels beginning with BUC

Modular homes come in sections just like a manufactured home. Panelized homes come in pieces that are assembled together like tinker toys on the subject lot. Examples of companies that build panelized homes are Jim Walker, Miles, DeGeorge, etc.

As far as comparables go--what would a typical buyer think as they approach the house? Built on site home? Trailer? Depending on the typical buyer's reaction either site built or manufactured housing or modular housing (if you can determine the difference) could be used. Are there any Jim Walters homes in the area that have resold? There won't be any information in assessor's records that it is a Jim Walters home, but typically you can tell by appearance (and measurement because they are always exactly in increments of 4'--for example 24.0' never 23.9' or 24.1') Jim Walters homes might be your best choice of comparables.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:19 AM

Thank you Jo Ann. I know I can always count on you.

I did receive the information you emailed to me. I am going to put it in it's own binder and start a "Manufactured Homes" info center.

Everytime I think I now understand manufactured homes, they throw me a curve.... "I learn something new everyday" even at my age...

Thank you so very much. Take care and God bless.

Old 10-27-2007, 03:14 PM

State: Kansas
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Modulars also come in single sections. I own one 24' wide, floor joists are single piece, sold wood, 2x12. I have no idea where they even found those sticks, not a knot in them, no finger joints, just very long clear trees.

Absolutely no way to tell it's not site built unless someone tells you.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:52 PM

State: Oregon
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgerarde View Post
While doing an appraisal of what appears to be a site built home, I found a small tag under the kitchen sink with the following info:
Cavco, 2502 W. Durango, Phoenix, AZ
31'3 X 46'4
f-ll2253
AZ270446 / AZ272343
5/20/96
cavaadc 96-0491xu/cp-1437
I looked under the home and there is a wood frame and no post/pier. The home does seem to be a site built home with no attic at first glance.
My first thought is that I have a modular off frame (heard about them, not appraised one yet...). There are no plates attached to the exterior of the home at all.
My understanding was that a modular would not be bought to the site in two pieces (AZ270446 & AZ272343???). I thought the pieces would be assembeld onsite. This seems to be two halves which I would think would be a double wide manufactured home.
Have I misunderstood?
Patti, is the "small tag under the kitchen sink" the only indication that this home may not be site built? Could it be that the cabinet was removed from a Manuf Home, then re-installed in this home?
Old 10-28-2007, 06:20 PM

State: Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgerarde View Post
While doing an appraisal of what appears to be a site built home, I found a small tag under the kitchen sink
Maybe they bought the sink at a garage sale when they remodeled.

Do you normally look under the kitchen sink? If you did, I would venture to say you must have had some suspension on the construction of the house.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:50 PM

State: North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Seylhouwer View Post
Maybe they bought the sink at a garage sale when they remodeled.

Do you normally look under the kitchen sink? If you did, I would venture to say you must have had some suspension on the construction of the house.
Don't you always look under the kitchen sink? I always check for a garbage disposal under the kitchen sink, don't you?

Follow the advice of Jo Ann, you'll be in good shape.

Closed Thread