Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > FHA/HUD and VA
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 10:42 AM

State: Illinois
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Default Is this a sump pump?

Hi guys, I'm really glad this forum exists because I'm stumped and could use some advice. I recently received a FHA assignment with unusual circumstances. A conventional appraisal was done that states the basement bath was hooked up to a sump pump, which was in turn hooked up to the sewer line. Well that is strange, bc most time you see a sump pump directing the water outside, not to a sewer line. A tag states that the pump is a ridgio aqua pro 1/2 hp residential sewage pump. I can't find anything about that model on google. Anyways I inspected the property and can't tell if this set up is correctly. The basement bath was just put in by a remodeling company a few years ago. The cover has a slight opening and I can see the float that activates the pump. However, I see standing water, that the float is on. Its a few inches below the cover and does not appear sanitary to me. However, I'm not an expert and was hoping somebody could clear it up for me. I am not sure how the rules are about posting photos and if that would be a uspap violation.

Thanks for your help

BJ

Last edited by BJ : 10-29-2007 at 10:46 AM.
Sponsored Links

Old 10-29-2007, 10:49 AM

Location: Lucy's New and Improved Trailor Park, first, second and last months rent please.
State: Colorado
Professional Status: General Public

PUMP station, lift station, to get the fluids up above sewer line level.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:54 AM

State: Ohio
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Sounds like a sump pump to me. Do you have a photo? Both houses that I have owned with a sump pump discharged to the outside and not to a sewer. In fact, in my area that would be illegal to do so.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:03 AM

State: California

Here's a picture of a sewer pump (sewer ejector system). There will always be something in the pipe going up to the sewer. There is a valve that keeps this stuff from going back the other way. The float switch operates this valve and keeps the pump from running 24/7.

Last edited by CANative : 11-07-2008 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:12 AM

State: Other Non-US

Mr. BJ,

Post the pic. A pic is not your confidential conclusions AND it is YOUR intellectual property. None of us will know what property goes with the pic. I think you're safe...

Ok, a lesson in gravity. Crap runs downhill, not uphill. IF the sewer lines are uphill from the basement, and to get the crap to run downhill it has to be pumped at least up to the main level of the home so it will, ya have to pump it! If it's legal for the house to be connected to the sewer lines, it's legal to pump crap up hill in order for it to flow via gravity to the sewer. If not, one would have to let it go downhill, most likely illegally, so the downhill neighbors can enjoy it.

I find the issues with such setups is codes typically require such items to be hardwired to the electrical system. Not "plugged" into an outlet or hooked up with an extension cord. In far too many cases I find out somebody did the later and not the former. If your case is not hardwired to the electrical system slap a CB4 - EA backed required inspection by Jurisdictional Authority staff for proof of permits and safety inspections.

It's not a bad idea if there is something that allows for a power outage and the kids keep flushing the toilet, a bad combination. But this may or may not be required by code.

Webbed.

P.S. You need to find out if this is for a water problem in the basement or for pumping sewage from the bathroom. Either way, most J.A.s will have code it has to be hardwired. But if it's for a water problem a pest and dryrot inspection would be a good idea.

Last edited by Webbed Feet : 10-29-2007 at 11:47 AM.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:12 AM

State: Nebraska

we had a toilet put in our basement a few years ago. since the basement is lower than the sewer lines a special pump-up toilet was installed. it kind of sits up on a platform and whn ya flush it goes into some holding tank that when full discharges automatically into the sewer lines, very common in this area.

i am not a plumber
Old 10-29-2007, 11:27 AM

State: Ohio

Sounds like the description is for a sump pump and not a sewer pump. There sshould be a round "crock" that holds water with a removable top. Inside the crck will be a small pump. There will likely be water up to a certain level and when water enters the crock it is discharded. My last house discharged under a deck and my current house discharges into the back yard and out a "dry creek bed" we built.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:36 AM

State: Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ View Post
.....The basement bath was just put in by a remodeling company a few years ago. ....
Was this done by permit? If so, contact the local building inspector and describe what you are seeing.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:57 AM

State: Florida

A "lift station" for sewage lines below the main waste line are typically grinder pumps. They do exactly what their name states. As they move waste water, they are connected to the property's waste line.

http://www.wsscwater.com/info/grinderpumpqa.cfm

Sump pumps are more typically used to remove "clean" water that may collect in below grade areas. As this water is not waste water, it is typically discharged to an open area outside the improvements.

The biggest concern with a sump pump is what can happen if power is lost or cut off in a vacant property.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:10 PM

State: Illinois

Here are the pics of the pump. The bathroom is behind the wall on the left. And to answer two questions on this thread. It is plugged into a wall outlet. No permit was pulled for this job.

BJ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pump 1.jpg (51.0 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg pump 2.jpg (59.3 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg pump 3.jpg (68.3 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by BJ : 10-29-2007 at 07:13 PM.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread