Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Appraisal Education
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 08:23 AM

State: Other Non-US
Professional Status: Appraiser Trainee
Default Question regarding appraiser's experience log

Hello all,

I am a long time lurker and first time poster.

My time to become a Certified Residential Appraiser is coming up early next year (it should be January, but I am looking more towards March) and I have a question regarding the information I must provide on the experience log required for this process --

In said experience log I must list 2,500 hours of "real property appraisal experience." Now, I know this term is subjective, but what is the accepted "standard" denomination per appraisal report?

Do I factor in driving time and research time on top of the inspection and report writing? Because if so, I would say that 8 hours is a "standard" amount for most reports.

Also, there are many reports in which my name is not included, but reports which I helped on. For example, picture taking, accompanied inspection, driving, and even being there for the actual typing as my associate did it step by step. I called the department of real estate and they said I should count these -- but how?

Thanks for any help, I am trying to get this experience log finished as soon as possible. I know I have at least 2,500 hours but I am worried on how to display it, as I am sure it will be up to scrutiny once they review it :/
Sponsored Links

Old 10-31-2007, 12:55 PM

State: New Jersey

Hi,

I am from NJ and I have similar experience. In the beginning I would accompany my supervisor and just do basic stuff like take pictures, do sketches and so forth. Next step was to start looking up comps and compare what I picked to what he picked. My super was pretty thorough in that aspect and I had literally over a hundred appraisals that I had gone on him before he would let me assist him in a helpful manner. In any case, when it came time to log that experience, I called the state and explained what work I had done and their reply was, " you can log whatever hours you and your super feel are appropriate"..I think i logged 1-2 hrs for the work I did. If i recall driving does not count as that is not really experience, but looking up comps and so forth related to the actual assignment is "loggable"(spelling?)..again as to how many hrs can u log per job is entirely up to you and the super..i have logged as little as 2 hrs for a job and as high as 40 hrs depending on how difficult the job was and how much time I spent on it..as long as your super signs of on it and I think its supportable I dont think they care..now this is in New Jersey, not sure about the other states..any other replies would be most welcome as I am curious how other boards across the country address this issue..
Old 11-21-2007, 10:55 AM

Thank you for the reply -- it was very helpful.

I'm also curious to see what other people have done. I was able to dig up my associate's experience log and found it that he did include driving time on some assignments; he said that his previous mentor didn't mind as they were justified in their distances.

I don't have it in front of me right now though, so I can't say how many hours he used, but on average I believe it was 5-7 for most.

All of this brings up another question though -- the 2,500 hours have to be within a period of 24 months. Although I received my license over that period, I was only listed as an active trainee a few months later... (four months to be exact, and that's quite a problem) I wonder if there is a way to get experience before being actually listed under a Certified Appraiser.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:54 PM

State: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim midgards View Post
I'm also curious to see what other people have done. I was able to dig up my associate's experience log and found it that he did include driving time on some assignments; he said that his previous mentor didn't mind as they were justified in their distances.
Well, according to OREA, as confirmed and posted much earlier when this question last came up, the driving time to and fro is part of the hours within reasonable distance and time frame. Obviously I don't expect appraisers to drive for days on end or take a plane ticket to get to a property for appraisal. But who knows there may be some "salient" appraisers out there just to get their hands on hours with concessions from American Express or simply having "Fistful of dollars".

Quote:
All of this brings up another question though -- the 2,500 hours have to be within a period of 24 months.
This is not a requirement. The 2 years period is for renewal of all licenses and subject to changes if applicable.

Last edited by GENTEEL : 11-21-2007 at 08:06 PM.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:51 PM

Exactly, I thought it would be reasonable given that we typically drive 25-35+ miles (one way) for an appraisal, and that's considered "in the area." As you know, that's the result of the city planners' wonderful development of suburb after suburb without an actual city centre or public transportation, but I digress. Each appraisal is different and should be weighted for merit in such a way.

Regarding your second comment -- maybe I didn't word my question correctly -- what I was trying to ask was if there was a way to count experience before being recognized as an active trainee under a certified appraiser (because it took the state 3 months to do so). The instructions I read indicate that the 2,500 hours "must be acquired in no less than 24 months," so I assume that you need 24 months minimum for it to count; it could be 48 months, 64, 100, etc, but 24 are the minimum requirements, is this correct?

Sorry about asking so many relatively inconsequential questions, I know the first one is a bit subjective but the time frame one is worded in such a way that I need confirmation about what's acceptable or not. I do have enough experience, I just want to make sure the time frame counts!

Thank you for your comments once again.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:32 AM

State: Massachusetts
Professional Status: General Public

Hello,

I am also in the process of writing up my experience log and have been unsure of some of the requirements. I would suggest calling your state board to answer the question about the 3 months experience before you were "officially a trainee". I assume you mean that the 3 months was the time from when you applied for your trainees license to when you got it? Don't think that any of your questions are inconsequential. Getting the correct answer can mean the difference between having your application accepted or rejected. I believe what they mean by "in no less than 24 months" is that the board feels that anything less than 2 years experience as a trainee is not sufficient enough time to gain enough knowledge and experience to become a good appraiser. Hence the 24 months. I have been a trainee now for 5 years. About 200 of my appraisals were of mobile homes. I had them all listed on my log but I had doubts as to whether they would count because they are considered "personal property". I called my board and as I suspected, I cannot use them. Had I just "assumed", I would have been rejected. I just lost around 600-700 hours of what I thought was experience. Even my supervisor wasn't aware of that. He told me to send the log in as is. When I asked the board, they said to rewrite the log because the mobiles don't count. Another issue I am unsure of is in the handbook they say the want a description of work performed. There is no area on the form provided to address that. The board member told me to just fill out the form provided. There are many reports on which I did not sign my name but did quite a bit of "loggable time" on the assignments which counts towards experience. I am curious as to how anyone else has handled this on their logs. Above all keep asking those questions until you get them answered. Good luck.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:47 AM

State: Georgia
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

The Log form I just filled out for AMP has a few boxes at the end which indicate Appraiser, reviewer, or assistant........I would expect your Assistance hours to be able to be counted as just that, Assistant. Regardless wether or not you signed the report. The person who DID sign it, should have indicated your assistance on their report respectively.

YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY CORRECT! Do NOT assume anything. I "Almost" assumed that my log only need the "Additional" 500 hours, since I already turned in 2000+ back in 2002. NOT!
Also, my original 90 hours was back in 2001, original Certificates were sent in in 2002, so I dont have them anymore. Even though all of my Edumacation is online, I have to show proof. I must have called and asked questions to AMP 3 or 4 times. They told me to print out the original 90 hours from the GREAB website, showing what they were for and fill out the edumacation form.........

While I am 100% POSITIVE everything is in order with the log I sent in last week, I have my fingers, legs, toes and everything else I can cross crossed! GOOD LUCK TO US ALL!
Old 11-23-2007, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim midgards View Post
The instructions I read indicate that the 2,500 hours "must be acquired in no less than 24 months," so I assume that you need 24 months minimum for it to count; it could be 48 months, 64, 100, etc, but 24 are the minimum requirements, is this correct?
Tim, what I've read, there seems to be no mandatory minimum required time for a licensed trainee to complete the required hours as long as it is within reason (as per CA). Please see page 7 of 32 here: http://www.orea.ca.gov/forms/CAv14n01.pdf. One of trainee I know completed his 2000 hours in around 17 months, submitted his log and got his AL license. I believe the same applies towards becoming an AR but I am honestly not sure about the requirements for AL to AR in your State in this regard.

Quote:
Sorry about asking so many relatively inconsequential questions, I know the first one is a bit subjective but the time frame one is worded in such a way that I need confirmation about what's acceptable or not. I do have enough experience, I just want to make sure the time frame counts!

Thank you for your comments once again.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:37 PM

Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

Regarding minimum time for experience direct from OREA's licensing handbook:

AL-2000 hours and encompassing no less than 12 months of acceptable appraisal experience*

AR-2,500 hours and encompassing no less than 2.5 years
(30 months) of acceptable appraisal experience

The above requirements apply to CA appraisers only. Other state licensing requirements may and probably will vary.

FWIW, my first license was AR. I never held an AT or AL. But, I had nearly 15 years experience doing non-federally related forensic appraisal work.

Last edited by Thomas Blake : 11-25-2007 at 11:59 PM.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:10 PM

Ah, there we go then. Looks as though 24 months is the period I shall be working in (Florida).

Now I am still wondering if anything counts before my license was active under my associate... that's 4 months that I could definetely use. I have determined that I have the hours, but those 4 months make the difference between the 20 and 24 month period. I just want to get this sorted as soon as I am eligible, thus why I am worrying about these things now....
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread