Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > General Appraisal Discussion
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 07:30 PM

State: Ohio
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Default BPO -vs- Appraisal

Does the second market buy BPO's? I'm just trying to get a good grasp on why BPO's would be used by lenders instead of appraisals anyway.

I would find it VERY interesting to know the percentage of foreclosed homes that had funds loaned off of BPO's instead of appraisals.

Maybe I'm completely wrong & BPO's weren't used, but lenders are cheap so its likely, lol.

Enlighten me please
Sponsored Links

Old 11-17-2007, 08:56 PM

State: Colorado

I think BPO have been used for "decisions", but as to make a loan? It may be part of the process with a compilation of other value data to make a decision. Makes you wonder why so many different sources are required to make decision. Can I say that they have been used for loan decisions, NO. But there have been many posts that would other wise say yes or maybe. We do know that "they", pending on who the lender/AMC is, they are used to data mine and to populate AVM's, in which, are still a process of a decision making, and from what many of have seen, AVM's are very questionable.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:17 PM

State: Oregon

Quote:
I would find it VERY interesting to know the percentage of foreclosed homes that had funds loaned off of BPO's instead of appraisals.
Is this a confirmation of reality?? Even if you knew that %, your perception of reality would still remain flawed.

Last edited by Blueprint : 11-17-2007 at 09:21 PM.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:23 PM

State: Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedness1 View Post
If any body has those statistics, along with AVM usage, please post.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:41 PM

State: New Jersey
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

BPO's are cheaper than appraisals, need I say more?
Old 11-18-2007, 07:04 PM

State: California

Nine times out of ten, a loan was made using an appraisal (AVM, Drive-by, or Full). The reasons why one appraisal product is used over another varies (loan risk usually drives the final decision). By the time a loan makes it to the Secondary market, it is 6 to 12 months since ‘funding’ (i.e., the borrower has the dough and the original lender is selling the loan – usually a package of loans). The Secondary Lender uses a number of options to check on the value of each individual loan (desk reviews, AVMs and BPO’s). Loans are never purchased at ‘face value’; the final purchase price is always negotiated. This happens at what is often called a “Tie-Out-Party”. A BPO, more often than not, is used for ‘problem’ loans. The lender is looking for an inexpensive way of having someone look at the property and report on its current marketability and value. If the value estimate is below the prior appraisal, then a lower value is offered at the ‘Tie-Out”. BPO’s are no better and no worst than most appraisals. Many ‘buyers’ of appraisal products argue that BPO’s are a better products because most BPO’s present three closed sales and three active listing.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:14 PM

State: Oregon

bpo's probably aren't used to make loans. here's why. real estate agents do bpo's not appraisers. appraisers have e & o insurance and appraisals are the only thing the court recognizes as true value. so the bank can't really sue the real estate agent for fraudulent bpo's because they are not really appraisals. now here's the funny part. if an appraiser does a bpo then maybe they would use that because they can sue the appraisers e & o.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:35 PM

State: Maryland

Michael, I would agree, but what about AVM's, they can not sue them either, (or can they), and they use them for loans all the time...
Old 11-18-2007, 08:59 PM

State: Florida

BPO's are not used for loans, as far as I know. They're being used the loan companies to establish the value they think they can get get when they take the property back in foreclosure. They don't need an appraisal for that, because it's not an FRT--for the most part.

But give it time--jut like using Desktops and AVM's--give it time.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:28 PM

State: New Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyce Potts View Post
BPO's are not used for loans, as far as I know. They're being used the loan companies to establish the value they think they can get get when they take the property back in foreclosure. They don't need an appraisal for that, because it's not an FRT--for the most part.

But give it time--jut like using Desktops and AVM's--give it time.
Then you're living in a dream world - they are being used for loans. If you'll check, they don't even need an appraisal for a loan that don't exceed the a certain requirement. On top of that - so many loans were made on comp checks.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread