Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > General Appraisal Discussion
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 08:25 AM

State: Michigan
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser
Default What Changes - Personally?

The past few years have wrought many changes in our profession. If you don't believe that statement, just go back about 5 years and re-read the posts here of the Forum. And 2008 will, without a doubt, see either many more or the beginnings of major changes in the way we do our business.

But what about us personally? How will we change in our lives and our business practices that are so entwined in the personal aspects of day to day living?

I'd like to hear what some of you plan for the new year: Will it be a continuation of the same or will there be some major changes in you lives/businesses. Please take a moment to think about it and share a little of what you have planned or what is kind of floating around in your mind.

As for me, 2008 will be my first full year of major change. One of my trainees was licensed near the end of the year (he blazed through the test with can only be referred to as honors) and we are waiting for the test date from the state for the second trainee. So shortly I will not have any trainees and will not take on any more. I plan on limiting myself to between 50 and 80 assignments this year. I've had some feelers that may lead to some interesting private conservancy work. So the semi-retirement is kicking in. I plan on about 2000 miles of biking this year as well as much more trout fishing and 3 days or so at the gym. One of the things I'm trying to give myself is to get back in shape after all of those years of not taking good care of myself while I took care of all of the appraisal assignments. Loose some weight, get the BP down and keep the cholesterol down.

One major change is that we lost our second office dog the Friday before Christmas. Scout, our Westie, was one week shy of her 15th birthday when she suffered a stroke. No more dogs in the office or back seat of the car. No more eager faces to great me when I return from the field. We miss both Scout and Peg, our Golden who died a year ago at 12+ years. They were a part of that whole period of time when the business was going full bore. Life without them will be simpler but not the same.

Kind regards to all of you and best wishes for a healthy, happy and safe New Year.

Richard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3.17.2005 Dog and around the house 079 (Small).jpg (47.3 KB, 44 views)

Old 01-02-2008, 08:36 AM

State: North Dakota
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Richard,

Change is imminent and change is good. I'm attempting to get back to what I love, appraising agricultural and conservation lands in Northern Minnesota. I'm also working at getting out of fee work and into a position where I receive a paycheck every couple of weeks and have benefits. I've spent 29 years appraising and I believe it's about time to work for someone else, let someone else have the headaches and let someone else pay for my benefits.

I've had a rough ride with difficulties in my home state of North Dakota. I've come to the conclusion the ND Appraisal Board owns the sandbox and they don't want me to play with them. So, it's on to new sandboxes....

There are a large number of opportunities in the business, I hope I will find a niche somewhere to continue on. If not, something outside this business will come up.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:47 AM

Richard,

One of the greatest blessings I've received in my activities as an appraisal educator is meeting quality people. You, sir, are one of the best. God bless you in your semi-retirement.

You asked to hear about what some of us intend to do this year. As for me, I don't see any major changes, although only the Good Lord knows what is in store. I plan on continuing to contribute what I can to the efforts here at ACI to develop useful products for our clients. I also intend, with the help of a very capable co-author, Dawn Molitor-Gennrich, to create additional meaningful and interesting CE seminars for appraisers.

Be well, Richard. Happy New Year.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:03 AM

State: Wisconsin
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

Sorry to hear about the lost of your second partner.

"One major change is that we lost our second office dog the Friday before Christmas. Scout, our Westie, was one week shy of her 15th birthday when she suffered a stroke. No more dogs in the office or back seat of the car. No more eager faces to great me when I return from the field. We miss both Scout and Peg, our Golden who died a year ago at 12+ years. They were a part of that whole period of time when the business was going full bore. Life without them will be simpler but not the same."

Well said.

As far as changes in my pratice, as of yesterday I have moved into semi-retirement. The appraisal office is being cut back to where I can just handle a few a month,Until I complete my fight with the state of Wisconsin. I am cutting back on phone lines, , limiting the time spent in the office.

By the end of the first quarter should be back in the horse profession on a limited bases. The wife and I have laid out or travel plans for the year where every quarter, we will travel for pleasure with our horses around the country. Then we have her travel for her job as department manager/buyer, which means we should be on the road at least twice every quarter going to buyers markets.

Until this profession of Appraiser can clean it self up for the residential division, I can see no real future in earning a living with out a lot of hours invest with very little return, at least in the rural areas. McDonalds and Burger King in our area pay starting wage of $15 per hour and benifits. If I were younger might look at compleating my CG Test and moving more into the commercial area. So be it at my age it is time to pull the plug and enjoy the remaining years.

Last edited by Ray Miller : 01-02-2008 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:05 AM

State: Virginia
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

Richard,

I wish you well on your plans for this year. I answered a similar question on this post, so, to not be redundant I am referring you to this thread:

http://appraisersforum.com/showthread.php?t=131814

I do intend to continue to do similar things this year. At 71 I see each day as a blessing and each challenge as a way to be worthy of that blessing.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:08 AM

State: North Carolina
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

No big changes are planned here. Life and business are great the way they are. Now that I'm 61 and my son is certified, I do plan for him to take a higher percentage of the assignments. He's in favor of this as he likes the money. I'm in favor as I like the free time.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:09 AM

Richard,

As Joe E. Lewis said:

"You only live once - but if you work it right, once is enough."

I have made some changes in mainly spiritual ways, guess that comes with age. Not spiritual changes as far as structured religions. Maybe I am enjoying the questions as much as the answers.

Hope to see you on the Au Sable!

john
Old 01-02-2008, 09:14 AM

State: Tennessee
Professional Status: General Public
Default Change

I decided to start fixing houses - I left appraising after 17 years .... Now I go around and find deferred maintenance and get rid of it.

Got a job taking care of 37 rental houses - doing electrical, plumbing, heating and Air-conditioning ... repairs along with tiling floors - picking up trash ....

Anyways .... its good to be back in the forum after about a year and half off.

Hope you guys are on your way to finding solutions and new directions in the appraisal field ....

I will be limited to talking here as I visit the library for internet access -

Have a great year!
Old 01-02-2008, 10:10 AM

State: New York

As far as appraising goes, I plan on getting my general certification this year. That will effectively end my working for residential lenders (which is close to nonexistent anyway), with the exception of certain specialty properties. I also plan on expanding the business into areas that we have not done work for in the past, such as life estate, partial interests, easements, and development rights.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:18 AM

State: Tennessee

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R. Stevenson View Post
I decided to start fixing houses - I left appraising after 17 years .... Now I go around and find deferred maintenance and get rid of it.

Got a job taking care of 37 rental houses - doing electrical, plumbing, heating and Air-conditioning ... repairs along with tiling floors - picking up trash ....

Anyways .... its good to be back in the forum after about a year and half off.

Hope you guys are on your way to finding solutions and new directions in the appraisal field ....

I will be limited to talking here as I visit the library for internet access -

Have a great year!

David, I must tell you, that you have been missed. I hope you are doing much better. You have a small child, now, if memory serves. Hope life is going great for you all.

Richard, this is a year of transition for me, and I'm still a bit undecided as to which path to go. I've narrowed it down to more acutely perfecting a fairly well honed residential mortgage appraisal practice out of necessity, moving back into commercial work, and or getting out and doing something altogether different. My slowest December in 15 years demands that I look at alternatives, within and out of this field.

If I could get the right price for my real estate, I would love to semi quit too, but don't see it happening. I don't envy your age of retirement, but do envy your retirement. Congrats.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread