Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Urgent - Help Needed
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 08:01 PM

State: Montana
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser
Default Yes/No Flood Hazard Area

If the lot lies in the 100 year flood plain but the residence is not do you click the yes or no box for flood hazard area?

I've always checked yes and explained, however I've got a mortgage broker who is insisting I check no because the survey shows the residence in not in the flood zone. (but 1/2 the lot is)
Sponsored Links

Old 02-08-2008, 08:23 PM

State: California

Walter - It's my understanding that if any portion of the lot is in a flood plain, whether or not the actual structure is in it, it must still be shown as being in the flood plain. I don't recall where I heard this - probably at a seminar.

I'm sure others will come in here to give their suggestions.

Good luck.

Jerry
Old 02-08-2008, 08:35 PM

State: Florida
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

I put "X" or "C" and "A" in the zone and check yes, then in the site section I state that per the survey the improvements are not in the flood zone and flood insurance is likely not required. I add a comment about deferring to any contrary finding via a flood certification, and state whether or not it influences value or marketability. I will also check my comps and hpe to find one with a similar location. That's about it.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:42 PM

State: Arkansas

I believe that fannie now says that you must check the box if any part of the site lies in a flood plain. It is up to the lender. It is in their ball park.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:53 PM

Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

Most likely the lender will rely on another source other than the appraisal for the flood zone data, regardless of what you mark it. That has been my experience on those too close to call.

Al
Old 02-08-2008, 09:10 PM

State: Maryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Klos View Post
I put "X" or "C" and "A" in the zone and check yes, then in the site section I state that per the survey the improvements are not in the flood zone and flood insurance is likely not required. I add a comment about deferring to any contrary finding via a flood certification, and state whether or not it influences value or marketability. I will also check my comps and hpe to find one with a similar location. That's about it.
I agree with the other posters and Jim here, except I would take out the part that states "and flood insurance is likely not required". No need to go there, that is not our call.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:37 PM

Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

Read Limiting Condition #3...

"...the appraiser has noted in this appraisal report whether any portion (my bold) of the subject site is located in an identified Special Flood Hazard Area."
Old 02-08-2008, 10:40 PM

State: North Carolina
Arrow I'd check "No."

The Fannie selling guide says:
Quote:
XI, 404.06: Special Flood Hazard Area (11/01/05)
If any part of the principal structure is located in a Special Flood Hazard Area—zones A, AE, AH, AO, AR, A1-30, A-99, V, VE, VO, or V1-30—flood insurance is required. If the principal structure is not located in the Special Flood Hazard Area, flood insurance is generally not required.
Personally I include a flood map from my service provider. I put what that map says in my report. If I had a survey showing the improvements are not in a flood plain, I would check the "No" box.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:55 PM

State: Michigan

The insurance company insures the improvements, thus the comment about none needed (flood insurance) if the structure is outside the flood plane.

If your SOW includes appraising the real estate with the improvements, the subject of the assignment lays within the flood plane.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:57 PM

Professional Status: Retired Appraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Klos View Post
I agree....but in my market area an elevation certificate is required. Sometimes this is available from the building department and any survey must show the elevation. Then, the building department will issue the certificate.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread