Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > FHA/HUD and VA
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 06:39 PM

State: Wisconsin
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser
Default Private Well Inside House?

Ok, I did an FHA inspection. Well head is located inside the house on the main floor (home has crawl space). I flagged this and now lender is FREAKIN!! I reviewed regs and it says little to nothing about this type of issue other than a well can be within foundation walls if adequate water egress is available. This is not the case. If this well backs up or floods, significant damage will occur to the interior of the home.

Anybody ever deal with anything like this?
Sponsored Links

Old 06-26-2008, 06:50 PM

State: North Carolina

5. Is a well located in the basement okay? If not allowed by FHA, what if local laws permit it?
An existing property, which is serviced by a well located within the foundations walls of the dwelling, is acceptable as security for FHA-insured financing only when the local jurisdiction recognizes and permits such a location. A well located within the foundation walls of new construction is not acceptable except in arctic or sub-arctic regions.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:32 PM

State: Tennessee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Rex View Post
5. Is a well located in the basement okay? If not allowed by FHA, what if local laws permit it?
An existing property, which is serviced by a well located within the foundations walls of the dwelling, is acceptable as security for FHA-insured financing only when the local jurisdiction recognizes and permits such a location. A well located within the foundation walls of new construction is not acceptable except in arctic or sub-arctic regions.

Don't think we have to worry about that around here!

Rex is correct!
Old 06-26-2008, 07:38 PM

State: Wisconsin

Local building codes have nothing to say about the wells, but DNR does have requirements that wells need to be outside. Is this enough to satisfy the "local laws" criteria?
Old 06-26-2008, 09:01 PM

State: Nebraska
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

Joel- Is the well inaccesible from the house interior (located ONLY in the crawl space) or does it have access from the main level?

You said 'well-head' - does this mean that the well provides the primary source of water for the residence?

Lastly define the concern with 'adequate water egress' - does this well have a habit of going artesian?

If not, has it ever floodded the house?!?!? Noting the atypical condition, and moving on may be sufficent.

Did more than one FHA interior wells over the years - none recently.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:57 AM

State: Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Ann View Post
Joel- Is the well inaccesible from the house interior (located ONLY in the crawl space) or does it have access from the main level?

You said 'well-head' - does this mean that the well provides the primary source of water for the residence?

Lastly define the concern with 'adequate water egress' - does this well have a habit of going artesian?

If not, has it ever floodded the house?!?!? Noting the atypical condition, and moving on may be sufficent.

Did more than one FHA interior wells over the years - none recently.

I would have to agree with Lee Ann. If indoor pools are permitted, why not indoor wells? I would note it's location, and let the DEU handle it.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:49 AM

State: California
Professional Status: Retired Appraiser

I agree with LeeAnn and Don. The simple act of a pipe breaking under the sink or in the walls, whether a well or public water, can also cause singificant damage.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:24 PM

State: Pennsylvania

In my office within the past week we have seen 3 properties with Wells in odd places, 1 in a basement (still waiting for township to let me know if there is a well permit for it) 1 outside the foundation of the house, but has recently had a foundation placed around it with a roof.. acting as a shed. The third was located under a porch which had a some sort of foundation.

Thanks Mr. Rex for the clearification on it tho.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread