Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > General Appraisal Discussion
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 04:24 PM
Supporting Member

State: Ohio
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser
Default AI Ready (.ENV format) report conversions

Since my very first AI ready report conversion I have had reservations regarding its ability to send to the lender a true copy of the report that I had produced in PDF format. I've also seen this controversy building over the past six months. Let me share with you my fix to the problem. At first I always sent a PDF copy of the report to my clients via email and told them that this was done specifically because the ENV format did not include all of the photos; exhibits; boldened, colored or highlighted text; and graphics that were included in the original PDF version of the report. That way they could choose which version to use. Some of the clients did not want the burden of extra emails clogging their inbox, fair enough. I now use the message log to tell my clients that a true copy of the report has been uploaded in PDF format as the invoice file. I then use the invoice button to upload the PDF version. Perhaps AppraisalPort could add a third upload button: "True Copy", or "PDF Version". The lender could choose the ENV format but still be on notice that a true copy of the report exists as a PDF, if just for reference.

I understand this fix does not quite the critics who argue that ENV conversion "de-constructs" the report, including the signature graphic, with attendant potential for harm. On the other hand, one must assume some level of trust in sending any report, in any format, ever. Unscrupulous people have always had the potential to alter reports, steal signatures and abuse the appraiser's trust. I just can't imagine that this will change any time soon. ENV makes this no more or less difficult.
Sponsored Links

Old 08-24-2008, 04:27 PM

State: North Carolina
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

The report in .ENV format is not a 'conversion' of the your 'real' report; it is your report.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:03 PM

State: Oregon

My mother use to always tell me, ' a lie well told is as good
as the truth.' I just tell them I don't know how to convert to
that fancy AI format....so if they want the report they've been
waiting for the last 4 days, I can send it right now as a pdf.
Old 08-24-2008, 06:11 PM

I like that attitude Elliot. Clients that demand an ENV format report are very short sighted.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:40 PM

State: Delaware

Fannie's been requiring .env files for a month or two.
I've looked at the .pdf file that's created and shown on the appraisalport site....
Maybe 1/2 of the interior damage photos I include in report are there.
But... Fannie is getting what someone sold her.
- hummm... that's happening to Fannie a lot lately ----- isn't it?
Old 08-24-2008, 08:04 PM

State: Arizona

I have sent two reports to Fannie Mae with the AI Ready software. What I have discovered is I need to post my exhibits and photos on different pages than I use for a pdf file. After I create the AI Ready file and prior to posting it to AppraisalPort I look to see what has been transferred. Then I experiment to figure out which AI Ready pages will work for the pages I want to include. For example I always put the assessor's map on the County Map addendum page. AI Ready doesn't recognize that page, so I have to put the assessor's map on the Addendum titled Plat Map page instead. And shudder at the stuttering every time. There isn't such a thing as a Plat Map--that is the same as saying map map twice or plat plat twice--they are the same thing. The same way with photos if they won't work on one version I try a different photo page version until I can get all the photos I want included in the AI Ready format. Of course with this new AppraisalPort agreement coming up I guess I will be saying goodby to Fannie Mae after doing their REOs for twenty five years. I refuse to use the AI Ready software for any other company, I just tell them I don't have it. Although I finally get all the information into the .env file I do not like the appearance of it. Pages are jumbled, out of sequence, the text addendum looks very weird without paragraphs, odd ball margins, etc, etc. Very confusing and weird looking report.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:23 PM
Supporting Member

The URAR and other reports I write routinely have 30 to 50 pages. The ENV format is not the report I intend for the client nor the one produced by the form software. It may be the format requested for delivery but only because they do not understand what may be missing. The fix suggested in the original thread post, however, works; and once the client users have a chance to review the difference, they save the ENV for their file and prefer to work with the PDF.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:54 PM

Default It's your report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Coufalik View Post
The URAR and other reports I write routinely have 30 to 50 pages. The ENV format is not the report I intend for the client nor the one produced by the form software. It may be the format requested for delivery but only because they do not understand what may be missing. The fix suggested in the original thread post, however, works; and once the client users have a chance to review the difference, they save the ENV for their file and prefer to work with the PDF.
So does the ENV file just magically appear on your computer to be uploaded to AppraisalPort?
If you don't intend it for the client, why do you send it to them?
Old 08-24-2008, 11:17 PM
Supporting Member

Dear Mr. Potato,

I send some of my AppraisalPort clients ENV format reports because they ask for that format. Insofar as it is ethical and practical, I attempt to accomodate their requests. The ENV format, however, has both advantages and limitations. The limitations are the reason that I do not call it the true copy of the intended report. It limits graphics, exhibits and font presentations for the sake of uniformity. As for who decides which report (ENV or PDF) is the true, full and authentic copy of any work, that decision has always been left to the author.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:20 PM

State: Texas

I, like Jo Anne, do it for Fannie Mae only for REO appraisals, but I make sure my data is on the env file. EappraiseIT actually asked for env files for WaMu before they were jettisoned. I preferred that over the alamode pdf I knew was getting converted to ACI then getting converted to an env file. The ACI conversion would lose data then the env conversion would lose more. I know one AMC that still does that. At least then I knew I had control over the actual report delivered to the lender.

Closed Thread